• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Felchin or Des Alpes Couverture Coins?

Sara M. Fekete

HelloS I began making bonbons a year ago and use AUI to order the chocolate and fruit purées. 

Have had great success with Des Alpes Coins using the 63% Dark Garnet, the 37% Milk Topaz, and the White Opal.

But I do not see any recommendations for Des Alpes in my (hopefully) thorough search on this forum.

Felchin gets high marks frequently. But so many to choose: Any recommendations? I see Sao Palme, Opus, and Elvesia- and others. (I’m still using just coins- haven’t graduated beyond that yet)

Many Thanks.

I too am an AUI customer.  I have never tasted the Des Alpes chocolates they carry but do use Felchlin dark and milk, specifically Maracaibo Clasificado (dark) and Maracaibo Créole (milk).  I notice those are more expensive than the Des Alpes equivalents, but that, of course, does not mean a lot.  I think the Maracaibo dark (65%) is the best chocolate I have ever tasted.  I cannot walk by an open bag of it without have a little taste.  The Créole was recommended to me by eG member @pastrygirl, and I like it a lot--it is one of the darkest milk chocolates I have tasted (if you like something "milkier" and sweeter, Maracaibo Criolait is also delicious).  For an "extra dark" (good for balancing an especially sweet filling) I use Felchlin's 72% Arriba, also delicious.

Although my AUI rep has sent me samples of every white Felchlin makes, I have never been bowled over by any of them and use Valrhona's Opalys for my go-to white chocolate (mostly in ganaches).  My second choice for white is Cacao Barry's Zéphyr.  For certain fillings I make, such as an "apple crisp," I use Cacao Barry's Zéphyr caramel.  Although it is a pain to work with (like most white chocolates, in my experience), it is delicious, and even confirmed white-chocolate haters appear to love it.

Your rep will probably send you samples of the Felchlin chocolates, but, be warned, you may be hooked.

• Like 1

Question for you AUI customers:

I have an account but I don't think I've ever purchased from them because I find their prices to be high.  That said, I am a home-based hobbyist that probably doesn't order more than $500 per year.  Do you find AUI cost competitive?  Are you ordering on more of a commercial scale and therefore getting better prices?

My impression (no hard evidence) suggests AUI prices are in the same range as other suppliers.  For a direct comparison, the price for Felchlin chocolate is about the same from AUI as from Chef Rubber (which Felchlin now allows to sell its products--formerly it was AUI only).  You can do a comparison between AUI and Chocosphere prices.  Chocosphere also has wholesale accounts but you have to get approval first; as with most small buyers, there is a minimum order (in their case, $250); the big disadvantage for me is that Chocosphere is located on the opposite side of the U.S. and shipping is a factor--but they have a great selection.

• Like 1

Agree with Jim, and don't underestimate the value of free shipping.  Chef Rubber might have more Felchlin products available by the bag, since you're smaller scale.  I also like Caputo's in Salt Lake City for certain Valrhona products but they have much more (and free shipping) https://caputos.com/chocolate/

And yes, my first AUI rep set me up with a volume discount, I usually order $1k at a time & probably spend $10k a year with them, almost entirely on Felchlin.

On white chocolates, I do slightly prefer Cacao Barry Zephyr, but that has been out of stock half the time lately so I've been using Felchlin Edelweiss.  Valrhona Opalys is great but more $$$.