• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where has all the Kosher salt gone?

Sid Post

I'm in East Texas and can find normal iodized table salt everywhere pretty cheap but, Kosher salt is AWOL.  Why is Kosher or Coarse salt so hard to find?  The online sources I found all want pretty high shipping rates on salt >$0.25/oz.  What is going on these days with coarse Kosher Salt?

TIA,

Sid

Edited by Sid Post (log)

8 hours ago, curls said:

Was at the local Wegmans this week and they had at least three brands of kosher salt -- including Diamond brand.

I found some South of Waco, TX which was >$2.50 a pound.  Better than nothing I guess.  I still don't understand why Coarse or Kosher salt is so expensive and in short supply.  I would like to find some Diamond Crystals myself but, Morton Kosher would be good too.

Still a little surprised about such low availability online.  For example, Walmart and Target around me has nothing except really expensive pink Himalayan salt crystals.  Some Diamond Crystals or Morton's Kosher for $1/lb sounds good right now!

Edited by Sid Post (log)
  • Like 1