• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deviled (or Stuffed) Eggs: an appreciation and discussion

Varmint

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm thinking how to do a century egg version!

Now, that sounds truly devilish!

And speaking of scary, it's about the right time for:

On 10/28/2016 at 6:49 AM, blue_dolphin said:

A platter of Halloween-decorated deviled eggs?  There's the black olive spider, the eyeball, pumpkins or weird looking green eggs with avocado.

I have done the light pickling for color to make both pink and yellow deviled eggs.  The yellow (with turmeric) is a bit less alarming to me 🙃

Yellow:

image.thumb.jpeg.23f1d4c56d9cf0637f53f7edd35aad1a.jpeg

• Like 2

I make these 2 simple ones regularly for cold plates.

Chipotle--Chipotle, mayo and top with cilantro leaves and picked red onions. 

Mediterranean--Dijon, capers, and as little mayo as possible to bind.  Top with halved Kalamata olive.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I like to toss a few pimento stuffed green olives into my mini prep food processor and chop them fairly finely, then add “standard” mayo, mustard and pepper along with the yolks for a quick blitz. We like them…..

• Like 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Of the Halloween versions on offer in this Food.com article, the spiders are by far my favorite, probably because they look like they're guarding the filling.  I might conjure up some of these, even though I'm not one for making cutesy holiday dishes -- although one year I did make Feet Loaf, to rather thunderous praise.

FUaosnzjSNCkhT5Pyied_spiders.jpg

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, CookBot said:

Of the Halloween versions on offer in this Food.com article, the spiders are by far my favorite, probably because they look like they're guarding the filling.  I might conjure up some of these, even though I'm not one for making cutesy holiday dishes -- although one year I did make Feet Loaf, to rather thunderous praise.

FUaosnzjSNCkhT5Pyied_spiders.jpg

Someone here made these back a year or so. @Shelby

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You have a good memory!!!

I did make these a few years ago but I can't remember where I posted them here lol.

Not THAT great!  I've been going through past dinner threads for the last few days to try to get some inspiration.  Here you go!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Thanks 1

Well I promised pictures and results and here they are. They were in the brine about a day longer then I wanted and I forgot to stir them so they are a bit polka dot but they are still very good and not rubbery.

20221006_151951.thumb.jpg.5d3ed9eb3d98788edfc333d35fc11588.jpg

Haven't tried them yet but the deviled eggs look pretty.

20221006_151914.thumb.jpg.0f5726c6e3c250f257b05c614e80dfb9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Well I promised pictures and results and here they are. They were in the brine about a day longer then I wanted and I forgot to stir them so they are a bit polka dot but they are still very good and not rubbery.

The color is wonderful!  Almost more lavender than pink on my screen.  Not rubbery, you say?  How much total time did they spend in the broth?

I'm trying to imagine what color toppings would look good on them.  Green?  Chives?  Or maybe finely diced red pimento, and a shower of red Aleppo pepper?

I would have to check back but I am pretty sure that I'm put them in the brine on Monday which would be 4 days. My favorite topping for these is just a sliced black olive.

I think they are less rubbery because they are a little lighter on the vinegar and the sugar than most.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

20221006_151951.thumb.jpg.5d3ed9eb3d98788edfc333d35fc11588.jpg

I can't find an earlier post where you talk about what went into these eggs. Could you please say again?

5 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I can't find an earlier post where you talk about what went into these eggs. Could you please say again?

That part got moved to pickled eggs. I hope that this helps.

The next time that I make them, I will put the eggs on the top of the jar and the beets on the bottom so that the eggs can be moved around and color more evenly. It didn't affect the taste at all, just the appearance.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Thanks 1

I love deviled eggs, but can't eat more than two or so.  They desperately need some sort of sidekick.  Maybe something bready.  Something to counteract the protein bomb.

I haven't been able to work out what that should be.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 5:26 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Your pink eggs seem to be on the cover of a new book about Ukrainian cookery that was featured in a recent article in the New York Times:

merlin_215131227_ee5dd484-18c6-483d-b9a2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1