• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nama chocolates (Royce) - looking for a good recipe

porfyra

7 hours ago, porfyra said:

Thanks for taking the time to help out :) I was thinking actually that one of the things bringing the melt-in-mouth texture may be cocoa butter because of its melting point at 32C, a bit below human temperature. I 'll try it with cocoa butter and coconut as well to compare and let u know! butter ganache would be a good idea, i m not sure how smooth the texture is i 've never tried it but i ll let u know how my experiments go ! thanks :D

Butter ganaches are exquisitely smooth!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:24 AM, porfyra said:

Hi all ! Has anyone ever tried Nama chocolate made by Royce? It's a kind of Japanese chocolate truffle that is made into cubes instead of rounded, and dusted with cocoa. They are delicious, they do not have a very strong chocolate taste but they simply melt in your mouth and are divine! I tried replicating them but I am not close at all yet.

They also seem to have a relatively short half life since they are not enrobed, surprisingly they say they last up to 3 months, I would expect much less if I made these at home. You can check out their variations here: https://roycechocolate.com/collections/nama 

After going through their ingredient list they seem to add milk powder and cocoa butter. Maybe the addition of cocoa butter is what gives that melt in mouth texture, while milk powder keeps it a bit "drier" and helps extend its shelf life? 

I started trying out recipes to experiment till I get close ! Any ideas would help :)

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 00.48.21.png

I make something similar to the pictures in link you have shared. It stays good when refrigerated for up to a week. Catches mold usually after 48 hours in ambient temperature.

Recipe-

I make extremely dark dry caramel (170C), add hot fresh cream to it. In a separate bowl I chop either milk/ dark chocolate and softened butter.  Mix the two and cover it for a while, use an immersion blender to get an emulsion. Put in mould, cover and refrigerate overnight. Unmould, cut in the shape you like and sprinkle cocoa powder.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, a quick update on my so far trials , though i was busy and could only do 2-3 trials so far.

#1 batch I made using dark chocolate, cream and additional cocoa butter --> pretty good results tastewise, would like it a bit smoother though

#2 batch: dark chocolate, cream, glucose syrup and cocoa butter --> good but felt slightly gummy with glucose syrup, maybe i could use less next time

#3 batch: dark chocolate, cream, clarified butter --> nuttier taste but then at room temp it got way too soft and oily

next batches will be using coconut butter vs regular butter , pectin and lecithin. 

Edited by porfyra (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1