• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

On 10/2/2022 at 5:07 AM, porfyra said:

wow thank you all for such a fast response! maybe you are right @Duvel, it's been several years since I last tried one, though I felt they were a bit lighter than the classical ganache. I tried chocolate ganache on a 1:1 ratio of 65% chocolate to fresh cream, added some cocoa butter too but I think i still have a long way to go. they do have that light melt in mouth texture that i think is due to cocoa butter, but if i remember correctly, the authentic one seemed a bit lighter and drier to touch than the one i got.

For reference, i tried a small batch with these amounts:

120g fresh cream 35%

120g couverture 65%

30g cocoa butter (did i overdo it?) ☺️

I forgot to mention, after googling (for hours..days..weeks etc), i found out that they have a pretty similar truffle in Switzerland, known as Pavés de Genève, not sure how different it is taste or texturewise but it looks pretty similar. 

This is going to have a pretty high Aw so will go moldy if uncoated pretty quickly. Of course never reading anything to the end before I reply - missed the part where they seem to be refrigerated. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

On 10/2/2022 at 5:07 AM, porfyra said:

wow thank you all for such a fast response! maybe you are right @Duvel, it's been several years since I last tried one, though I felt they were a bit lighter than the classical ganache. I tried chocolate ganache on a 1:1 ratio of 65% chocolate to fresh cream, added some cocoa butter too but I think i still have a long way to go. they do have that light melt in mouth texture that i think is due to cocoa butter, but if i remember correctly, the authentic one seemed a bit lighter and drier to touch than the one i got.

For reference, i tried a small batch with these amounts:

120g fresh cream 35%

120g couverture 65%

30g cocoa butter (did i overdo it?) ☺️

I forgot to mention, after googling (for hours..days..weeks etc), i found out that they have a pretty similar truffle in Switzerland, known as Pavés de Genève, not sure how different it is taste or texturewise but it looks pretty similar. 

This is going to have a pretty high Aw so will go moldy if uncoated pretty quickly.