• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Russet potatoes

Darienne

This morning Ed went to our nearby small sized city (I was going to say  'medium', but I think that would be pushing it some) and did the groceries as usual and although russet potatoes were on the list, he came home without them, but rather with 'Fancy Pak washed potatoes' from Simcoe, ON.  He looked for russets in three major shopping grocery chains and found only potatoes designated as 'white', 'yellow' and 'red'.  No russets.  Nary a one.  The purchased potatoes, not even called 'white' were however in a bin marked 'russet potatoes'.   No, he didn't ask about this fact.  

Went to the brand website.  It says they grow white, yellow and red potatoes.

Has anyone else had this experience of not being able to find russet potatoes?  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, Darienne said:

This morning Ed went to our nearby small sized city (I was going to say  'medium', but I think that would be pushing it some) and did the groceries as usual and although russet potatoes were on the list, he came home without them, but rather with 'Fancy Pak washed potatoes' from Simcoe, ON.  He looked for russets in three major shopping grocery chains and found only potatoes designated as 'white', 'yellow' and 'red'.  No russets.  Nary a one.  The purchased potatoes, not even called 'white' were however in a bin marked 'russet potatoes'.   No, he didn't ask about this fact.  

Me, me, me …

My supermarket usually only carries Annabelle, Linda, Cilena, Sieglinde, Agria, Granola, Quarta, Saskia, Freya, Bintje, Melina, Ackersegen, Adretta, Bamberger Hörnchen and Reichskanzler. 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Me, me, me …

My supermarket usually only carries Annabelle, Linda, Cilena, Sieglinde, Agria, Granola, Quarta, Saskia, Freya, Bintje, Melina, Ackersegen, Adretta, Bamberger Hörnchen and Reichskanzler. 

Are you suggesting that we emigrate to Germany?  I'm sure we are too old to emigrate anywhere.  

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

26 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Russets are easy to come by here. If you buy individually (at almost 2.00 CDN per pound!) they are a decent size, but should you opt for a 5lb. bag, which is much cheaper per pound, they are the size of small apples, which makes peeling an arduous task. I bought 10 pounds for 5 dollars recently when we were in the Cariboo, and they are all nice sized baking potatoes. I used half the bag yesterday to make a batch of twice baked for the freezer and will use the rest for Thanksgiving mashed. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two occasions where I peel potatoes for mashed. The rest of the year, I leave the skin on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Are you suggesting that we emigrate to Germany?  I'm sure we are too old to emigrate anywhere.  

Ha ! Let’s come over and let me prepare a potato tasting menu for you first - then you decide 🤗

And emigration won’t solve your problem: there are no russets to be found here. But what I was jokingly trying to point out is that rather than focusing on color or species name maybe you find a substitute with the same cooking properties: from waxy to starchy, and anywhere in between this continuum ..

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

And emigration won’t solve your problem: there are no russets to be found here. But what I was jokingly trying to point out is that rather than focusing on color or species name maybe you find a substitute with the same cooking properties: from waxy to starchy, and anywhere in between this continuum ..

Sounds so very simple but only the Russett has the floury texture of a baking potato. As Darienne pointed out, our choices are white, red or yellow and russets for the most part. You might find tiny and expensive 2 pound bags of baby potatoes or even occasionally fingerlings. That’s our basic supermarket offerings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Me, me, me …

My supermarket usually carries Annabelle, Linda, Cilena, Sieglinde, Agria, Granola, Quarta, Saskia, Freya, Bintje, Melina, Ackersegen, Adretta, Bamberger Hörnchen and Reichskanzler. 

Lucky you.  We get, red, white, yellow fleshed (Yukon Gold) and Russet.  Except for the Yukons, none have a name attached to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Russets, of all sizes, are plentiful here, but we are quite close to Idaho.

• Like 1