• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Peter Oliver, influential Toronto restaurateur.

Anna N

“Toronto restaurateur Peter Oliver, who started with a sandwich shop in midtown Toronto in the 70s and went on to become a recognizable name around the city’s restaurant scene, has passed away.

Oliver & Bonacini Hospitality, the company which bears his name, announced Oliver’s death in an online post Thursday.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved leader and co-founder of Oliver & Bonacini Hospitality (O&B), Peter Oliver,” the post read.”

Here.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

That's too bad. he and Michael Bonacini certainly seem to have made a great team together and a 30+ year partnership is pretty impressive. 

I caught a little bit of an interview that the CBC had with Michael Bonacini tonight and he certainly seemed to have great respect for Peter. (I fell in love with Michael Bonacini when he was on a Canadian cooking show. I think it was called Cook Like a Chef.)

edited to add:

Yep that was the name of the show and here is a  description  of my one and only meal at Oliver & Bonacini. 

Edited by Anna N
Additional information. (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N do you ever watch MasterChef Canada? Bonacini is one of the judges and he makes reference to Oliver & Bonacini from time to time. My husband and I have been watching old episodes and recently they had the home cooks in the kitchen at Auberge du Pommier in Toronto. 

Your meal looks lovely! 

Edited to add: Michael Bonacini also had/has a show called Bonacini's Italy which I'd like to check out further! 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bonacini's+italy

Edited by FauxPas (log)

9 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Anna N do you ever watch MasterChef Canada? Bonacini is one of the judges and he makes reference to Oliver & Bonacini from time to time

Thanks.  

My 2004 eG Blog