• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Claudia Roden: 20 of her best recipes.

Anna N

Here.

I thought some of you might enjoy this brief look at Claudia Roden. This is a great selection of recipes ranging from Chicken Soup through Roast Belly of Pork to Lemon Tart and Apple Cake. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for this.  The recipe for Apple Latkes reminds me of Appleflappen, a yummy treat from my growing up days.  My mother would make these on New Year's Eve day and we would eat these in the evening.  I have made these since, but I'm going to try this recipe.  It differs from the one I normally make which calls for yeast, which this one doesn't.

A Book of Middle Eastern Food.  I bought this book in 1974, still in the days when I still loathed cooking.  And I've made dishes out of it ever since, starting with Tabbouleh and Hummus which I've always loved.  One of the best features of this book, and one that I have always loved in a cookbook, is the stories that Roden gives the reader... who ate the dish and when and why, and what were its beginnings.  Fascinating.  

I see that the Orange and Almond Cake, listed in this presentation, is also in this book and I think I'll make it very soon.  

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, Darienne said:

A Book of Middle Eastern Food.  I bought this book in 1974, still in the days when I still loathed cooking.  And I've made dishes out of it ever since, starting with Tabbouleh and Hummus which I've always loved.  One of the best features of this book, and one that I have always loved in a cookbook, is the stories that Roden gives the reader... who ate the dish and when and why, and what were its beginnings.  Fascinating.  

When I moved from England to China in 1996, I only brought one cookbook. A Book of Middle Eastern Food. It is a wonderful read even if you don't eat that food!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto