• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide braised red cabbage

gfweb

I LOVE the sound of this! Can’t get enough cabbage, especially red. My traditional ways are either very finely shredded and quick pickled with the chamber vacuum sealer, or v slow cooked with red wine vinegar and spices. This sounds a great variation. 

Based on the comments on price I’m intrigued by how much they cost in the states? Over here they’re about 80p a cabbage in my local fancy supermarket, so what’s that? probably about 80¢ given our ludicrous governments recent behaviour. More like $1.10-1.20 in normal times if we ever see those again… but I digress.  Great vegetable and I’ll definitely give it a go. 

@gfweb, in the photos you’ve taken away the core. Is that how they served it to you too? I like the idea of keeping it in to hold shape but not sure any amount of SV time makes it edible?

• Thanks 1

@&roid I don't recall the core status at the restaurant. I usually cut most of it off and leave a bit to hold things together. The one in the earlier picture was an old cabbage with a pretty gnarly butt that needed  aggressive trimming.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@&roid I don't recall the core status at the restaurant. I usually cut most of it off and leave a bit to hold things together. The one in the earlier picture was an old cabbage with a pretty gnarly butt that needed  aggressive trimming.

In the interests of science I shall try two quarters with core and two without. 

I can see so many options here - some red wine and clove in the SV bag; some crunch post searing, as you say, maybe chopped hazelnuts; apple cider vinegar and juniper… maybe try some goose fat in place of butter… I’m looking forward to this! Just need to work out when I’m going to do it now 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, TdeV said:

@&roid, could you please provide the recipe for "very finely shredded and quick pickled" and then vacuum-sealed?

Of course: 

I like it cut as fine as I can do by hand, mandoline is better but this is a five minute weeknight staple so the need to wear a Kevlar glove and the washing up kill that tool for me. 

Pop the shredded cabbage into a shallow bowl, sprinkle with salt to taste. Sugar too if that floats your boat. 

Cover with any type of vinegar you fancy. White distilled is my usual go to as it’s cheap and does the job. Malt is nice and red wine is great, but it can take quite a bit to cover fully depending on the size of cabbage and bowl shape. A mix of distilled and a flavoured vinegar works well too. 

Then put the bowl in the chamber sealer and run 2-3 cycles of about 60s each. Basically as many as I can be bothered with before hunger overtakes me. Open the chamber after each cycle to allow air back in and force the vinegar into the now burst cells of the cabbage. 

This gives a great translucent look and a lovely fresh pickled cabbage taste in a few minutes of prep. 

If you have a food saver type vacuum sealer you can try and do the same but just watch the vinegar being pulled up - I made a lot of mess prior to getting my chamber sealer. 

Beautiful with grilled meats and stews/braises. Essential with lamb hot pot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've made sous vide braised red cabbage a couple times now.  It is not my thing.  Fortunately I eat coleslaw three or four times a week.  Fear not, little cabbage will go to waste.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've made sous vide braised red cabbage a couple times now.  It is not my thing.  Fortunately I eat coleslaw three or four times a week.  Fear not, little cabbage will go to waste.

Me too.

I'm still trying to decide on it.  With the right seasoning it can stand up to a nice piece of meat as a side dish.

• Like 2

I’ve finally got round to trying this out today. Four 1/8s of a cabbage are currently bagged up and warming. Going for the recommended four hours at 185f. 

for good measure I’ve put some Charlotte potatoes in another bag with a good wodge of butter for the same time. 

plan is to sear them all after, for the cabbage I’ve made some juniper, mace and pepper infused butter. 

This little lot will be served tonight with some duck confit, all being well. 

3D2722BC-C97B-4F33-954E-2CAF4B1FFDA9.jpeg

1DD22EFD-39CA-4879-8D0F-841CB1D4C19E.jpeg

• Like 4

What a brilliant way of cooking cabbage this is. Beautiful texture and a lovely buttery flavour. Crisping it up a bit in the pan after the SV bath really works well. 

I did two of the wedges with the core left in and two with it removed. The former definitely works best, holding it all together nicely - the core is even pretty soft and edible after the long cook. 

We’ve got a big pre-Christmas party coming up in December, this will definitely be on the menu, as will the potatoes which were great too. 

692E605A-9E5F-4CE6-83C2-967E80E16F5B.jpeg

3E1143B4-B9DB-4A10-A61D-0DD1DED9234C.jpeg

C4A8EC22-9CE3-48A2-9F50-1A34D586A43E.jpeg

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

I've season ed with zaatar and a little sugar or sriracha honey or allspice.

Harissa/apricot syrup at the restaurant is the best so far.

Thinking about a crunchy element....

Edited by gfweb (log)