• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide braised red cabbage

gfweb

I just had a great wedge of red cabbage that was said to be SV in butter and then roasted and spiced with harissa and apricot syrup. Meaty and tender.

I guess I'd SV at 175 x 8 hours and then roast at 350 for 30 min.

Any intuition from anybody?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No idea but braised cabbage sounds like something I would enjoy.  Was this in a restaurant?

Yes. Bardea Steak in Wilmington, DE.  Great place. Nothing like a typical steakhouse eg they do "flights" of steaks from different breeds.  Great food.

Wilmington, by the way, has a few really good restaurants now. Le Cavalier (the redone Green Room in the Hotel duPont) is a modern bistro...Bardea Steak and its older brother Bardea...La Fia...House of William and Merry ( a little outside of town). I could see a weekend eating trip for NY and DC people.

The braising was actually SV in butter followed by a roasting.

I've roasted wedges of red cabbage before...got them nice and caramelized and tender...this was much better

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Yes. Bardea Steak in Wilmington, DE.  Great place. Nothing like a typical steakhouse eg they do "flights" of steaks from different breeds.  Great food.

The braising was actually SV in butter followed by a roasting.

I've roasted wedges of red cabbage before...got them nice and caramelized and tender...this was much better

Do you think Bardea would share the parameters?

Only time I've dined in Wilmington was when I was staying at Hotel Dupont, testifying in Federal court as an expert witness, paid for by the law firm.  Gracious suite.  Memorable meal.  Most comfortable mattress.

What I remember most is the lobster mashed potatoes.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you think Bardea would share the parameters?

Only time I've dined in Wilmington was when I was staying at Hotel Dupont, testifying in Federal court as an expert witness, paid for by the law firm.  Gracious suite.  Memorable meal.  Most comfortable mattress.

What I remember most is the lobster mashed potatoes.

I am  going to ask Bardea. I'm hopeful.

I've done the expert witness thing a few times. While I can't say Federal court was a good time, it was not unpleasant and the HdP is one of a kind. I think patent lawyers keep the place afloat.

• Like 3

There is plenty of SV red cabbage recipes in the German-speaking internet, but very few with the cabbage being left intact or in wedges. This one cooks the cabbage, simply seasoned with salt & sugar, for 2h at 70 oC. After that it should be yielding, but not disintegrating and you could butter it and gratinate …

• Like 5

Just now, Duvel said:

The lower left …

Huh. I thought that cabbage was raw! And that, somehow, the cabbage had been reduced to a purée under the lamb.

. . . These are the joys of not understanding the context. 😄 (I make the same errors reading recipes in French, though my French is better than my German).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

SV 10 hours 175F in butter

20220925_200601.thumb.jpg.1e296e5f45bdfc15b1d28581f9b1699e.jpg

After 30 min at 350F

20220925_203707.thumb.jpg.dca4777f9ac2c8ab9e47e0f687b52605.jpg

Nice result. Firm but tender.  I dusted it with Zaatar and sugar.  Time ti fiddle with the seasonings

What is the advantage of cooking in butter, rather than cooking first and then adding melted butter?

I have plenty of cabbage on hand (albeit green).  The Economist reports that in 1953 at the start of Elizabeth's reign Britons consumed six times as much cabbage as they do today.  Probably not sous vide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is the advantage of cooking in butter, rather than cooking first and then adding melted butter?

I have plenty of cabbage on hand (albeit green).  The Economist reports that in 1953 at the start of Elizabeth's reign Britons consumed six times as much cabbage as they do today.  Probably not sous vide.

I did it in butter because the waiter said they did it in butter.  It did come out nice.

I bet  the Brits got a better price than we do today.  I'm amazed at what it costs now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

185F x 4 hours was just right

How does the result compare to 10 hours at 175F?  How much butter do you add to the bag for how much cabbage?

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How does the result compare to 10 hours at 175F?  How much butter do you add to the bag for how much cabbage?

Same result.

two tbsp butter for 1/4 to 1/5th small red cabbage.

I haven't worked out the seasoning yet. Just salt and sugar isn't bad. Zatar was nice.

Searing the face after SV is good.  I'm not certain the original oven roast after SV is any better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2022 at 5:01 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Elizabeth's reign started in 1952, not 1953. The UK still had rationing, but cabbage was off ration. People did eat a lot of it but not by preference. Red cabbage was little known at all. It came later, pickled in a jar. Still does right up to today.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Isn't this temperature (or slightly lower, say 183℉) considered the basic vegetable sous vide temperature?

yup.

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

@gfweb, thanks for this thread. I'm intrigued.

Did you do all the slices of cabbage in one bag, or did each slice get its own bag?

all in one bag

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Elizabeth's reign started in 1952, not 1953. The UK still had rationing, but cabbage was off ration. People did eat a lot of it but not by preference. Red cabbage was little known at all. It came later, pickled in a jar. Still does right up to today.

Give me a break, I was only three.  Being a naive American I assumed a queen's reign began with her coronation.  And I am shocked that cabbage ever was on ration.

Meanwhile I have my organic red cabbage on order from amazon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1