• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Post-hospital" food

Duvel

In the last week, both my parents had to be hospitalized. They had just finished with „their“ Corona infection (from a lovely multiday boat trip on the Rhone on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary), when my father just couldn‘t get moving anymore. One ambulance and many tests later acute anemia was diagnosed, together with a benign cause and he stayed 5 days in hospital. One day after his admission, my mom suffered a herniated disc, resulting in 9 days hospital admission. Visits in hospitals are still very much regulated, so on the day of my fathers hospital discharge I drove up there to take care of him a bit. As hospital food isn‘t that great and he couldn’t eat for some days due to some „invasive“ examinations, he was quite weak and in dire need of some proper food, that should be caloric, red meat centered (for extra iron) and lastly something he‘d eat even though he doesn’t feel like eating. So, this is his „anemia recovery“ food, Duvel edition …

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

When I arrived at night, I set up a hige pot of beef broth. Shin, breast, all veggies - you name it - to simmer over night. In the meantime, he got a snack of Weisswurst, that I brought from my local butcher and a Brezel. It was an easy start …

FAC7CE8C-ABF6-4CE8-BD31-4A77DBBB552D.thumb.jpeg.bebb86396ff6d97c62e805196e30b3f0.jpeg

• Like 14

Breakfast with some local sausages I purchased in the morning, proper coffee (not that hospital murky water) and bread rolls …

FF2DA689-64EC-4C9F-A851-BDAF9E15A301.thumb.jpeg.148fa28433e048ac56d7d7f9f4c3ddfd.jpeg

Mettbrötchen, of course. Remember: meat is king !

722013BD-B929-48AE-9FA8-B651FA522E21.thumb.jpeg.332923a2e29bb2b06cfd112508d33a58.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

For dinner he requested „Danish carrot casserole“, which is a bake made from carrots, onions, sour cream and blue cheese. I used Gorgonzola picante, so it might be better called „Italian carrot casserole“ …

287DAAD6-E496-450A-A3F9-30B53BED0F95.thumb.jpeg.5063a599bd3f06639397ddbf8ac8d1c5.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Next day breakfast looked exactly like the first day. For lunch I had presalted a Tafelspitz, so I simmered that in the beef broth I had made. It got even better. Served with braised carrots and potato Knödel …

4BAD65E7-67BB-470D-9F0D-908E0A97DB0F.thumb.jpeg.b45cc8abe5c686f380c6ebc2240d6c02.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

More of the same breakfast, and some more beef broth for lunch. By now the appetite seemed to cone back and my father asked for some cake, which I simply bought: the seasonal favourite plum cake with whipped cream …

41B73E5B-BED1-48A6-A90F-3A4B5CDDECF8.thumb.jpeg.c0d2094cc5f7662ff8c0aae35e8911a4.jpeg

87890644-A15C-4261-B511-16FD548DACE5.thumb.jpeg.edf55bce793d345cdc6079ab78d94624.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Breakfast: a roll with my two favourite sausage: “Weisswurst” (not the Bavarian type, this is the spreadable Northern German type: basically fat, onions and finely ground intestines) and “Schwartenwurst” (essentially the same, but higher meat/intestine content and pieces of boiled skin). Talk about energy 

BC413CF8-7D29-4831-B097-4F8779555333.thumb.jpeg.b9c559eeca99c08cd649b8045e997705.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Lunch was a repetition of the pasta & carrot dish, respectively. As my father could get a visit permit to see my mom in the hospital, we had to get a freh Corona teat certificate. In the area of the test center was a great place for Currywurst, that my father wanted to go to. Unfortunately, it was closed.

So while he was entertaining my mom in the hospital (only one visitor allowed 😶), I went shopping and he got a Currywurst at home.

5065A017-CBB1-4CE2-A7A0-025EED90A9DF.thumb.jpeg.833ca2b5042c6e0807cd4d9955790256.jpeg

My mom asked where the extra iron was hidden in this dish, but smart as I am we got it from the fruit juice with EXTRA IRON.

67B78431-5993-467F-8EA9-C2A98BF6D224.thumb.jpeg.3fd8efe6a9e2249edaaffc4af7b86828.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Last day. Breakfast was “the same”, as it basically always is and noone ever complains …

For lunch I made Szegediner Gulasch with freshly made Spätzle.

7BF254EB-FA5B-4287-81EB-28D73B432BB5.thumb.jpeg.57bbedc84c2de65af39614527d52a951.jpeg

I made a lot. Froze some in individual portions, just as I did with the Tafelspitz. Additionally, I made a huge batch of Pickelsteiner Eintopf, his favorite stew, frozen as well in individual portions. He likes these kinds of long simmered dishes a lot and I know he will be able to warm them up, even without my mom 😝

Luckily, the day after I left my mom was released from the hospital - with crutches & a family pack of painkillers, but at home ! My sister is now at their place to take care over the weekend and me and my little family will drive up again the next weekend. All good 👍

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 16

@Duvel 

if your Dad asks for some time off 

( I doubt he would even consider it )

I offer my Personal Services as a Dad-Sub

although my German is weak ,

( I used to be able to count in German )

my fee schedule is relatively reasonable .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

18 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I need to make some Mettbrötchen,  I love raw meat dishes (in moderation).   Do you know what pork cut they use to grind that?

I think they use a mixture of belly (Mett should be fatty) and shoulder. Spices are salt, pepper, punched of clove, nutmeg or mace and garlic.  Make sure your meat is free of Trichinella, though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Danish carrot casserole

I missed you like crazy! So glad your dad is doing better and I’m guessing your mom is OK? 

Not to suggest that anything isn’t amazing but this one is the bees knees. But to my horror even Mr.Google offers no clues as to its construction. Please share. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Duvel so sorry to hear that your parents celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary ended with stays at the hospital.

Is your mother still in the hospital?

What wonderful meals you are cooking for your father. I'm sure that they will help his recovery-- delicious meals cooked with love.

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I missed you like crazy! So glad your dad is doing better and I’m guessing your mom is OK? 

Not to suggest that anything isn’t amazing but this one is the bees knees. But to my horror even Mr.Google offers no clues as to its construction. Please share. 

My mom is home now, and that’s what counts. It is not her first herniated disc, but with age recovery times go up while options to permanently fix things go down. But she’ll pull though 🤗

I am sure that “Danish carrot casserole” (Dänische Möhrenpfanne) is a similar authentic German construct as the famous “Toast Hawaii”. It is easy to make: you use half-half sliced carrots and sliced potatoes. Cook them in a large pan with a little vegetable stock until they are almost tender, then stir in creme fraiche (or sour cream, or fresh cheese - some fatty, non- curdling dairy) mix well and let soften a bit more. Add your blue cheese (be generous) in crumbles on top, cover for maybe 10 min and let melt in the residual heat. Add chives and enjoy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Duvel said:

Add chives and enjoy.

Thank you. Thank you. Unusually for me I am out of blue cheese but I will remedy that soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Since we're begging your recipes, will you share your currywurst, please?    Yours looks so much better than Mr' Google's collection.

Sure.

It is pretty straightforward: You sweat 2-3 onions in (a little more) oil until caramelized, reduce the heat, then add some mild curry powder, followed by smashed garlic & ginger and some tomato paste. Stir, stir, stir. Then add crushed tomatoes (maybe one cup), more curry powder and some sweetener (I like apple sauce, or honey, or brown sugar) and a tiiiny splash of vinegar. You want to have a sweet & sour interplay. Simmer for 10 min, puree with a hand mixer and start adjusting the spices. Maybe more curry powder, definitely more salt, and a little chili. Mix with a grilled & slices sausage and dust with more curry powder.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1