• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 9/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, Duvel said:

It is not easy … it’s a skill, and you need to learn it. In every line of work, people that do an outstanding job get promoted - but their people skills to make them efficient leaders are usually not developed at the same time. Chang is an innovator, a good cook with a great sense for business. That does not qualify him to be a great boss. If he doesn’t have opportunity/time/commitment to learn to be a good leader, it usually doesn’t happen on its own. Not an excuse, merely an observation …

Of course it’s not easy. But if you are a chef, why try to be a PR person or an executive? I don’t think it takes much for anyone with humility to acknowledge they can’t do it all. I’m sure Chang out sources PR, Marketing, maybe a HR company, has a manager, etc. He certainly deals with a multitude of vendors. 

Part of brilliance, IMO, is treating your staff as you’d like to be treated and acknowledging that you can’t do it all. 

I get he was sucked into the idea that Bourdain made mainstream; chefs are now celebrities. 

However none of them became famous overnight. So shafting your employees to me, in this industry is especially disappointing, as someone with a BA in Restaurant and Hospitality Management. I’m not surprised but it’s still sad. 

IMO- Eric Ripert is the best example as a chef/ restaurant owner I can think of. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 9/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, Duvel said:

It is not easy … it’s a skill, and you need to learn it. In every line of work, people that do an outstanding job get promoted - but their people skills to make them efficient leaders are usually not developed at the same time. Chang is an innovator, a good cook with a great sense for business. That does not qualify him to be a great boss. If he doesn’t have opportunity/time/commitment to learn to be a good leader, it usually doesn’t happen on its own. Not an excuse, merely an observation …

Of course it’s not easy. But if you are a chef, why try to be a PR person or an executive? I don’t think it takes much for anyone with humility to acknowledge they can’t do it all. I’m sure Chang out sources PR, Marketing, maybe a HR company, has a manager, etc. He certainly deals with a multitude of vendors. 

Part of brilliance, IMO, is treating your staff as you’d like to be treated and acknowledging that you can’t do it all. 

I get he was sucked into the idea that Bourdain made mainstream; chefs are now celebrities. 

However none of them became famous overnight. So shafting your employees to me, in this industry is especially disappointing, as someone with a BA in Restaurant and Hospitality Management. I’m not surprised but it’s still sad.