• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinkware trinkets

MaryIsobel

38 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

To remember a forgotten thread about forgotten ingredients.

I was shown some old family photos taken in a classic Dinner Club steakhouse somewhere in Detroit, maybe late 60's early 70's.  On the steak plates were garnishes of the large sprig of parsley, and a lettuce leaf topped by a spiced apple ring.   I haven't seen or heard of spiced apple rings in many dogs' ages.    Whatever became of spiced apple rings?

Also was a slab of plain vanilla ice cream topped with super cute little plastic animals.  

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 6.51.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 6.47.59 PM.png

I remember those ittle animals hanging on on the side of my Shirley Temples. The Keg Steakhouse used to use whole spiced crabapples as a garnsih - I had forgotten all about them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I remember those ittle animals hanging on on the side of my Shirley Temples.

Yes - though the drinks I remember them hanging on were possibly a bit stronger than a Shirley Temple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have a bunch of them.  My MIL heard me talking about a set I'd seen at an antiques mall and how they inspired such warm memories of parties given by my mom's best friend's parents in their Tiki-inspired basement party room.  She got them for me the next Christmas!

1-IMG_0683.thumb.jpg.e8af59d849d7ada610caab7671370483.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2022 at 8:06 AM, Kim Shook said:

I have a bunch of them.  My MIL heard me talking about a set I'd seen at an antiques mall and how they inspired such warm memories of parties given by my mom's best friend's parents in their Tiki-inspired basement party room.  She got them for me the next Christmas!

1-IMG_0683.thumb.jpg.e8af59d849d7ada610caab7671370483.jpg

I think I have that pattern of barware in a couple cordials I inherited.   Mermaids look so at home there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I think I have that pattern of barware in a couple cordials I inherited.   Mermaids look so at home there.

I only have 2 of them.  I bought them to help fill out some coupe glasses that I only have 6 of and needed 8 for some reason.  They all came from my favorite little antique/consignment shop (sadly closed now).  I love them and feel so elegant when I serve cocktails in them - though usually they contain some dessert item! 😁

• Like 3