• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How likely are you to choose your next restaurant based on concern for the planet?

Anna N

I thought this was an interesting discussion. There is room for plenty of nitpicking. 

Here.

“… diners who are keen to make better choices for the planet in where and how they eat lack direction. You need to know how to decode a restaurant and its menu, spotting the tell-tale signs of a progressive operation. What marks out a greener restaurant and what should we order when we get there? How, as customers, can we embrace that change?”

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, please.

Silly Guardian, menus and tablecloths aren't going to  save or kill the planet.  When private jets go away we can talk about the minutiae.

Yet another millennial's  lecture designed to attract clicks.

• Like 5

We seem to have been dining planet friendly for years.    Small places, around 24 seats, no tablecloths, short menus featuring low carbon footprint products.  Odd bit animal parts are considered "smart", are wonderfully transformed by kitchens and eagerly ordered by diners.   There is much conversation about sustainability as well as 100% use of product.   Portions are often available in two sizes to lessen waste.   In our area, water shortages have made "water on request" rather the norm. All this is, of course, at moderate price point places.   

Of course, there is still lots of excess use of plastic, packaging waste, large portions only partially consumed, high-on-the-hog proteins and out of season produce consumed.

And I still look for a napkin, good sized and of good material.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

started reading, then gave up due to the exponentially increasing nits.

too many many ignorant assumptions-be-truth for any seriously consideration.

in decades and decades I've been to one and exactly one eatery that printed a daily menu, tossed on closing.

even if they did, the energy and resources required to manufacture a tablet-for-the-menu is going to kill the planet much faster.

"in Germany they need to eat more organs . .  "  newsflash:  in the land of Wurst ueber Alles, virtually nothing of an animal goes to waste. 

you can have it on your plate or in your sausage - but it's not thrown away.

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 3