• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Food Deliveries

liuzhou

Dinner: 酸菜鱼 (suān cài yú) - Sichuan Fish with Pickled Mustard Greens.

1539899646_.thumb.jpg.da207a6ed6efbcd9352d0fc8456d1ebc.jpg

This is a classic Sichuan stewed fish special, but not so well-known abroad. It is popular throughout China. Most internet recipes suggest using catfish, which makes sense, but  I've often had it with carp or tilapia. It is important to use a fairly firm-fleshed freshwater fish.

195545605_.thumb.jpg.09654273bb6e9ef23cc1be8f03e3bc5a.jpg

This is a very spicy dish with facing heaven chilli peppers and copious Sichuan peppercorns, as well as doubanjiang. There is a reasonably authentic recipe here, should you wish to have a go at making it. The only difficulty may be sourcing the pickled mustard greens (which are the heart of the dish) but your local Asian market should be able to supply it.

2042527606_3.thumb.jpg.fae6c9ff6a22f29726af5c58b8fb4823.jpg

酸菜 (suān cài) Pickled Mustard Greens

I was wary of ordering it as it's normally a large dish meant for sharing, but they did a sensible sized one-man version and were generous with the fish. It was GOOD.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Dinner: 酸菜鱼 (suān cài yú) - Sichuan Fish with Pickled Mustard Greens.

1539899646_.thumb.jpg.da207a6ed6efbcd9352d0fc8456d1ebc.jpg

This is a classic Sichuan stewed fish special, but not so well-known abroad. It is popular throughout China. Most internet recipes suggest using catfish, which makes sense, but  I've often had it with carp or tilapia. It is important to use a fairly firm-fleshed freshwater fish.

195545605_.thumb.jpg.09654273bb6e9ef23cc1be8f03e3bc5a.jpg

This is a very spicy dish with facing heaven chilli peppers and copious Sichuan peppercorns, as well as doubanjiang. There is a reasonably authentic recipe here, should you wish to have a go at making it. The only difficulty may be sourcing the pickled mustard greens (which are the heart of the dish) but your local Asian market should be able to supply it.

2042527606_3.thumb.jpg.fae6c9ff6a22f29726af5c58b8fb4823.jpg

酸菜 (suān cài) Pickled Mustard Greens

I was wary of ordering it as it's normally a large dish meant for sharing, but they did a sensible sized one-man version and were generous with the fish. It was GOOD.

I'm always weary of ordering fish/seafood for delivery as I'm worried it gets overcooked while sitting around.  I'm glad yours didn't have that problem!  Then again, it's practically impossible to overcook catfish (which isn't commonly offered here) so that works in your favor.

中饭: Lunch

淮山骨头汤 (huái shān gǔ tou tāng) - Huaishan Bone Soup (pork bone soup with Chinese yam)
凉拌牛肉 (liáng bàn niú ròu) - Cold Dressed Beef ( a sort of beef and allium salad)
爆炒油豆腐 (bào chǎo yóu dòu fu) - Burst-Fried-Oil Tofu ("Burst Fried Oil" is the literal term for the cooking technique involving very high temperature wok cooking. You know the kind of thing all those jokers with their high octane burners think is daily routine. It isn't or they wouldn't need a special term for it when it is occasionally used, would they? /endrant )
娃娃菜 (wá wa cài) - Baby Chinese Cabbage

1400387523_beefsaladmeal.thumb.jpg.4eb45dc185e149b695b0df1b36375788.jpg

1066735749_baochaoyoudoufu.thumb.jpg.2cab7703f42c729b85df2ad6721e2502.jpg

Burst-fried Tofu

1579604338_liangbanniurou.thumb.jpg.f8a2856f0eaa10de2280faf9fdaa9df9.jpg

Cold-dressed Beef

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Steamed pork with roasted glutinous rice crust, pig's ears with green chillies, water spinach and steamed rice. Cordycep and chicken soup.

About this word cordycep. A word new to me. So I looked it up and found this definition: " Cordyceps is a genus of parasitic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects."

From the "cep" part of the word I should have figured it to be some kind of mushroom, but I never would have guessed this type. Anyway, I've never seen this word on any menu or recipe but now I'm fascinated to know if it's a common word somewhere in the English-speaking world? Do you see it on English menus in China? I'm just really curious about the word itself. I will leave it to others to talk about this type of fungi for food.  😉

7 hours ago, SusieQ said:

About this word cordycep. A word new to me. So I looked it up and found this definition: " Cordyceps is a genus of parasitic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects."

Unfortunately, you have stumbled upon an incomplete definition.

Cordycep sinensis is a parastic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects. There are over 400 types of cordyceps. Non-parasitic human-bred varieties have become mainstream in recent years. What I ate (and regularly eat) is cordyceps militaris, a non-parasitic type. It is cultivated locally and often served in chicken soup.

1266173173_cordycepmilitaris1.thumb.jpg.dfa59006ef8694fdff68aea0133b6130.jpg

Dried Cordycep Militaris

140787578_cordycepmilitarisfresh.thumb.jpg.9a50f54f76f912dd1bc4458222d235c5.jpg

Fresh Cordyceps Militaris

Although I would have no objection in principle to eating cordycep sinensis (I've eaten insects and I've eaten fungi,so I can save time and eat them together), sinensis is gathered from the wilds of the high Tibetan Himalayas and is, as a result, prohibitively expensive. It would be about $300 USD for that bowl of soup.

sinensis2.thumb.jpg.f001e9568efa3c8a70c9088c2ca48927.jpg

Cordycep sinensis

As to the word 'cordycep', it is derived from the Greek kordulē meaning ‘club’ and latin caput meaning head 'head', presumably describing the shape.

There are very, very few  English menus outside of the largest cities (Beijing, Shanghai etc). Most of those in Liuzhou, I've translated! On menus most places, they would use the Chinese name, 虫草 (chóng cǎo) for sinensis and 虫草花 (chóng cǎo huā) for militaris. That last character in militaris means 'flower(s)' and indicates that it is only the fungus without the larvae. Even if someone misread it, the price would soon alert them. Militaris is very cheap.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Today, I was idly flipping through my phone and the delivery app. The opening page always features ads for restaurants or ingredient delivery outlets. I noticed my new address in one of them!

My address covers a large, gated residential community (about 800 apartments) and on the main street side a few commercial outlets. 

The ad I spotted was for a Sichuan restaurant. When I looked more closely, I realized it was a restaurant I often used last year when I was forced by my health to order in meals. And they had good food. It is two minutes walk from my apartment, in a corner I hadn't previously noticed.

mmexport1710336230701_edit_103719013071152.jpg.b4bd67bb104a19a08904c69a1ec0fa72.jpg

四川地摊火锅 (sì chuān dì tān huǒ guō), Sichuan Market Hotpot.

I don't know if this is a good thing when I've just gotten back into cooking after a year's break. But they will delivery just upstairs, too. They don't only do hotpot.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3