• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Food Deliveries

liuzhou

香菜拌牛肉 (xiāng cài bàn ) - Coriander* Beef
肉末四李 (niú ròu) - Minced Pork  Green Beans
娃娃采 - (wá wa cài) Baby Cabbage
淮山骨头汤 (huái shān gǔ tou tāng) - Chinese Yam Bone Soup

米饭 - Rice

dinner.thumb.jpg.422f0eeeba04a8510f2ef0356fd8c4d8.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Curious about a couple of things. Did you order each dish individually or was this a set meal?

The pork and green beans – here I can order dry fried green beans with or without meat and it always contains spicy pickled vegetables. Same?

Yam bone soup - pork bone soup with yams?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Curious about a couple of things. Did you order each dish individually or was this a set meal?

The pork and green beans – here I can order dry fried green beans with or without meat and it always contains spicy pickled vegetables. Same?

Yam bone soup - pork bone soup with yams?

This one was a set meal. They aren't all.

The green beans were fresh; not pickled.

Chinese yam is dfferent from what you may call yam.

132543371_Chineseyam.thumb.jpg.72458fb417c1bbfe03c5d1b443db9e76.jpg

Chinese  Yam

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The green beans were fresh; not pickled.

Thanks. I am sure I was not clear. I meant did the dish contain spicy pickled vegetables as well as the fresh green beans and the pork? (One of the edible dishes I can order from my “ Chinese” takeout). 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Thanks. I am sure I was not clear. I meant did the dish contain spicy pickled vegetables as well as the fresh green beans and the pork? (One of the edible dishes I can order from my “ Chinese” takeout). 

No. There was nothing pickled in the dish.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:54 AM, liuzhou said:

Dinner:

冬瓜汤 (dōng guā tāng - Wax Gourd Soup)

啤酒鸭 (pí jiǔ yā - Beer duck (with ginger)

南瓜 (nán guā - Pumpkin)

五花肉花菜 (wǔ huā ròu huā cài - Cauliflower stir fried with Pork Belly )

米饭 (mǐ fàn - Rice)

soup.thumb.jpg.af3a4bec4fad39fab3cdc58413944d90.jpg

1155744937_beerduckmeal.thumb.jpg.b08360890eab77ab492ff82991c5faba.jpg

Looks tasty. Can you say more about that pumpkin?

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I've done stir fry pork and fresh green beans with a scatter of pickled vegetables and also without. I typically have those pickled vegetables that come in the squat brown crock. Useful, for a change of pace.

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've done stir fry pork and fresh green beans with a scatter of pickled vegetables and also without. I typically have those pickled vegetables that come in the squat brown crock. Useful, for a change of pace.

Yes, it is sometimes done with pickled veg here too, but not this time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Lunch (and Dinner probably). Stuffed myself at lunchtime.

739026045_RibLunch.thumb.jpg.98a6dff0927a38f83c8e5517406e1e3d.jpg

一整跟大排骨 (小) (yī zhěng gēn dà pái gǔ) - literally 'one whole heel large bones (small)' - Grilled Pork Neck Bones with cumin and chilli powder. These were excellent. Very meaty and nicely spiced.

1679981522_porkribs.thumb.jpg.1213874baa1cc8888c3c650dd2e7cbf3.jpg

扬州炒饭 (yáng zhōu chǎo fàn) This was billed as being Yangzhou fried rice made with Wuchang rice, allegedly China's highest quality rice. It was neither. It was a boring fried vegetable rice that even included unadvertised c@rn!)

rice.thumb.jpg.62da0b530355406fb00a3b10dcc11eb7.jpg

越南彩虹水晶卷 (yuè nán cǎi hóng shuǐ jīng juǎn) - literally 'Vietnam Rainbow Crystal Rolls' - Gỏi Cuốn Spring Rolls containing mango, fake crab (surimi), shrimp, vegetables and herbs. With spicy dipping sauce. Actually quite good.

rolls.thumb.jpg.07883ba5a94a32b10972ce1a64946604.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get the advertised lovely companion to eat with!

160181781__20221012153344.thumb.jpg.74cfa975a386cb46e98cc7b8ba799578.jpg

Not at all sure I'll need dinner. The pork filled me up!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

I went further afield today. Xinjiang, to be precise. Well, I didn't go, but my tastesbuds did.

Xinjiang, for those who don't know, is China's troubled westernmost province. The local language is closer to Turkish than to Chinese. The original population is mostly Muslim, but in recent years thousands of Han Chinese have been settled there, upsetting the traditions.

新疆烤手工馕 (xīn jiāng kǎo shǒu gōng náng)A Xinjiang Flatbread with cumin, chilli, sesame seeds and salt. Accompanies almost every meal. The name nang is etymologically related to the naan bread of the Indian sub-continent and beyond.

新疆羊肉烤包子 (xīn jiāng yáng ròu kǎo bāo zi) Being Muslim, the locals don't eat pork, so mutton and beef are common. This is a Fried Mutton Bun. Delicious.

奶香肥牛串 (nǎi xiāng féi niú chuàn) Creamy Fatty Beef Skewers, again with cumin and chilli..

nang.thumb.jpg.72075349f50d790bcb5ab5146f0ef54f.jpg

Nang

skewees.thumb.jpg.d6e10bcb3a90ef55026df88df1c6f086.jpg

Skewers

bao.thumb.jpg.da5843897121ca873b14c56a131ae9c4.jpg

Mutton Bun

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I went further afield today. Xinjiang, to be precise. Well, I didn't go, but my tastesbuds did.

Definitely looks different than your usual fare.  Nice that you can change things up. I am so envious of your options for delivery. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I went a bit more simple tonight. This is what the Chinese call 快餐 (kuài cān) or 'fast food'.

鸡炖蘑菇 (jī dùn mó gu) - Hunan style stewed chicken with mushrooms with 擂辣椒 (léi là jiāo) pounded chillies, served 盖码饭 (gě mǎ fàn) over rice.

976749173_chckenandmushroomstewoverrice.thumb.jpg.71eaa5f72fee4e560c717b6786bfbf3a.jpg

The overcooked cabbage wasn't mentioned.

In addition to this I went for a 原始猪肉夹馍 (yuán shǐ zhū ròu jiá mó) - original pork rou jia mo, made with long stewed pork belly.

roujiamo1.thumb.jpg.22a7f0b8a76f8a56f035fc31017e6c42.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

Saturday lunch:

花甲+虾+鱿鱼+焖意面 (huā jiǎ + xiā + yóu yú + mèn yì miàn - clams + shrimp + squid + braised noodles.)

They offered a choice of four spiciness levels: no chilli, mildly spicy or medium hot or very hot.

I went with 'medium hot'.

1740830589_seafoodnoodles.thumb.jpg.ebafdc619d8d31af1ea9e22bcf0e489b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Saturday lunch:

花甲+虾+鱿鱼+焖意面 (huā jiǎ + xiā + yóu yú + mèn yì miàn - clams + shrimp + squid + braised noodles.)

They offered a choice of four spiciness levels: no chilli, mildly spicy or medium hot or very hot.

I went with 'medium hot'.

1740830589_seafoodnoodles.thumb.jpg.ebafdc619d8d31af1ea9e22bcf0e489b.jpg

And?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner:

I decided to give the new Thai place a second chance. Last chance. It was decidedly sub-par. Never again.

It was supposed to be a Thai yellow curry - my mothrer made better out of convenience store curry powder. There was no coconut or lemongrass or chilli or anything you would expect in a Thai curry. The chicken was mostly potato and seriously undercooked carrot (⁈). It came with a side of overcooked cabbage. Very Thai, me don't thinks. The rice was OK.

Despite my being able to see from my home the building where the restaurant is located (it's maybe 5 minutes walk), the meal took 45 minutes to arrive and was, of course, cold. I had to nuke it.

1524034525_ThaiChickenDinner.thumb.jpg.4ede3aae1ca76c02a9e50b6eff939dcd.jpg

curry.thumb.jpg.e1ca385dc1a5f63302e11c56648eda88.jpg

There was also a bowl of Tom Yum soup, which I have left in the fridge for lunch tomorrow. We'll see.

1532720197_TomYum.thumb.jpg.0e50fac32442a7d03f221c4438dbc2d0.jpg

First real failure in three weeks. Mustn't grumble. But I will!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, kayb said:

@liuzhou, how goes the recovery process?

Thanks for asking. It's slow, but they warned me of that. But I see small improvements.

I'd love to get back to cooking, but I can't go shopping or stand up for very long. I can't cook sitting down! I tried! So, for now I'm stuck with delivery food, although to be fair today's experience was atypical.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks for asking. It's slow, but they warned me of that. But I see small improvements.

I'd love to get back to cooking, but I can't go shopping or stand up for very long. I can't cook sitting down! I tried! So, for now I'm stuck with delivery food, although to be fair today's experience was atypical.

Does anyone deliver a bar stool?  That should be about the right height next to teh stove top.  I was considering getting one for when I made rendang.. haha

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Does anyone deliver a bar stool?  That should be about the right height next to teh stove top.  I was considering getting one for when I made rendang.. haha

I have a stool of an appropriate height, but it just feels all wrong sitting on it  to cook. I must move around more than I realised while cooking.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I have a stool of an appropriate height, but it just feels all wrong sitting on it  to cook. I must move around more than I realised while cooking.

Yeah, I figured but I just threw it out there.  Thinking a little more though, sitting wouldn't really work for any kind of stir fry, not to mention doing the prep beforehand - washing/cutting/chopping is hard to do sitting down - especially whne you can't do it all in one place.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Does anyone deliver a bar stool?

If only it were that simple! No knee holes. Loss of leverage when sitting. As @liuzhounoted - much need to move. Wheeled chairs/stools offers other challenges. Sometimes if you are able to overcome these obstacles you are so exhausted that you cannot eat whatever it is you cooked. :smile:

Oops. Now I see you covered most of these points. Sorry. 

Edited by Anna N
Apology (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday Lunch: 猪肝炒土豆粉 (zhū gān chǎo tǔ dòu fěn) - Pork Kidney with Potato Noodles

1186052733_.thumb.jpg.f4870410a0b7bac626673b9127bd8535.jpg

Also contained lean pork, pickled cow peas, omelette, garlic, shredded cabbage, pickled chilli, Chinese chives, soy sauce.

Big improvement on last night.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3