• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I  woke this morning absolutely starving. I'm not sure why.

So I ordered breakfast. I ordered two!

1. 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu zhōu) - Pidan (Century Egg) Lean Pork Congee. Doesn't look like much, but it was tasty and filled most of  the void. This, I'm told, is the most popular of all the congees locally.

165296412_.thumb.jpg.8ddecbd99c9f5ca631c75c84e066d776.jpg

2. 上海汤包 (shàng hǎi tāng bāo ) - Shanghai Soup Dumplings. These had suffered in the journey and a couple had burst spilling their soupy contents. Came with my dip of choice. You can have no dip, vinegar, chilli oil or vinegar and chilli oil. I chose the latter. It comes in these little catering packs. I should have said no dip - I have better vinegar and chilli oil at home, anyway! It also came with an unadvertised pack of Chillied Dried  Daikon Radish - the Chinese pickle Korea likes to claim to have invented. Yes, It's basically what they call 'kimchi' but has been known in China much longer as 泡菜 (pào cài).

tangbao.thumb.jpg.a48599f9db6cc2c0f6cd408cfbecf9e5.jpg

So having had two breakfasts and started a war, I'll go off and think about lunch.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I  woke this morning absolutely starving. I'm not sure why.

So I ordered breakfast. I ordered two!

1. 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu zhōu) - Pidan (Century Egg) Lean Pork Congee. Doesn't look like much, but it was tasty and filled most of  the void. This, I'm told, is the most popular of all the congees locally.

165296412_.thumb.jpg.8ddecbd99c9f5ca631c75c84e066d776.jpg

2. 上海汤包 (shàng hǎi tāng bāo ) - Shanghai Soup Dumplings. These had suffered in the journey and a couple had burst spilling their soupy contents. Came with my dip of choice. You can have no dip, vinegar, chilli oil or vinegar and chilli oil. I chose the latter. It comes in these little catering packs. I should have said no dip - I have better vinegar and chilli oil at home, anyway! It also came with an unadvertised pack of Chillied Dried  Daikon Radish - the Chinese pickle Korea like to claim to have invented. yes, It's basically whatthey call 'kimchi' but has been known in China much longer as 泡菜 (pào cài).

tangbao.thumb.jpg.a48599f9db6cc2c0f6cd408cfbecf9e5.jpg

So having had two breakfasts and started a war, I'll go off and think about lunch.