• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I know I haven’t duly recovered from my recent spell in hospital – I keep making uncharacteristic errors of judgement.

Today I fancied a salad and, like an idiot, decided to search my delivery app. The alarms screaming “China doesn’t do salads!” went unheeded. I searched high and low through the western-type salads they had on offer, trying to find just one that didn’t include c@rn. I was just about to give up, when I spotted one. I ordered it.

The salad consisted of (in order I found the ingredients as I dug through) some rather nice roast chicken surprisingly free of bones, skin and gristle; a boiled egg (halved); shredded carrot, kidney beans, wood ear fungus, raw broccoli, rice noodles and C@RN!

This was not shown in the image or listed in the ingredients. I should have known some donkey in the kitchen would improve' destroy the salad.

Everything was unseasoned and undressed (if you pardon the expression!) However, when ordering, I was given my choice of dressing – 1000 island, ‘salad dressing’, zephyr vinaigrette, baked tahini, Caesar salad dressing, Korean hot sauce, mustard salad dressing, millet chutney, Low calorie orange tahini sauce or low calorie yoghurt blueberry sauce.

I had no idea what zephyr vinaigrette was so I ordered that – seems ‘zephyr’ is a Chinese synonym for ‘sickly sweet’. Apparently this sauce is a thing, but the only reference I can find is of a Chinese company pretending claiming it’s Japanese. It's in the bottom left of my image

I dressed it instead with some Sriracha I happen to have and ate around the dreaded yellow pellets from purgatory. I also added some 'sea grass' which I also ordered and they threw in for 1 元 (i.e. free). It's top left. Best part of the meal.

Never again.

1424771828_ChickenSalad.thumb.jpg.0cd257a14aad18566705385f03f643b6.jpg

Get well soon my poor me!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I know I haven’t duly recovered from my recent spell in hospital – I keep making uncharacteristic errors of judgement.

Today I fancied a salad and, like an idiot, decided to search my delivery app. The alarms screaming “China doesn’t do salads!” went unheeded. I searched high and low through the western-type salads they had on offer, trying to find just one that didn’t include c@rn. I was just about to give up, when I spotted one. I ordered it.

The salad consisted of (in order I found the ingredients as I dug through) some rather nice roast chicken surprisingly free of bones, skin and gristle; a boiled egg (halved); shredded carrot, kidney beans, wood ear fungus, raw broccoli, rice noodles and C@RN!

This was not shown in the image or listed in the ingredients. I should have known some donkey in the kitchen would improve' destroy the salad.

Everything was unseasoned and undressed (if you pardon the expression!) However, when ordering, I was given my choice of dressing – 1000 island, ‘salad dressing’, zephyr vinaigrette, baked tahini, Caesar salad dressing, Korean hot sauce, mustard salad dressing, millet chutney, Low calorie orange tahini sauce or low calorie yoghurt blueberry sauce.

I had no idea what zephyr vinaigrette was so I ordered that – seems ‘zephyr’ is a Chinese synonym for ‘sickly sweet’. Apparently this sauce is a thing, but the only reference I can find is of a Chinese company pretending claiming it’s Japanese. It's in the bottom left of my image

I dressed it instead with some Sriracha I happen to have and ate around the dreaded yellow pellets from purgatory. I also added some 'sea grass' which I also ordered and they threw in for 1 元 (i.e. free). It's top left. Best part of the meal.

Never again.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This was not shown in the image or listed in the ingredients. I should have known some donkey in the kitchen would

improve' destroy the salad.

Never again.