• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I went further afield today. Xinjiang, to be precise. Well, I didn't go, but my tastesbuds did.

Xinjiang, for those who don't know, is China's troubled westernmost province. The local language is closer to Turkish than to Chinese. The original population is mostly Muslim, but in recent years thousands of Han Chinese have been settled there, upsetting the traditions.

新疆烤手工馕 (xīn jiāng kǎo shǒu gōng náng)A Xinjiang Flatbread with cumin, chilli, sesame seeds and salt. Accompanies almost every meal. The name nang is etymologically related to the naan bread of the Indian sub-continent and beyond.

新疆羊肉烤包子 (xīn jiāng yáng ròu kǎo bāo zi) Being Muslim, the locals don't eat pork, so mutton and beef are common. This is a Fried Mutton Bun. Delicious.

奶香肥牛串 (nǎi xiāng féi niú chuàn) Creamy Fatty Beef Skewers, again with cumin and chilli..

nang.thumb.jpg.72075349f50d790bcb5ab5146f0ef54f.jpg

Nang

skewees.thumb.jpg.d6e10bcb3a90ef55026df88df1c6f086.jpg

Skewers

bao.thumb.jpg.da5843897121ca873b14c56a131ae9c4.jpg

Mutton Bun

liuzhou

liuzhou

I went further afield today. Xinjiang, to be precise. Well, I didn't go, but my tastesbuds did.

Xinjiang, for those who don't know, is China's troubled westernmost province. The local language is closer to Turkish than to Chinese. The original population is mostly Muslim, but in recent years thousands of Han Chinese have been settled there, upsetting the traditions.

新疆烤手工馕 (xīn jiāng kǎo shǒu gōng náng)A Xinjiang Flatbread with cumin, chilli, sesame seeds and salt. Accompanies almost every meal. The name nang is etymologically related to the naan bread of the Indian sub-continent and beyond.

新疆羊肉烤包子 (xīn jiāng yáng ròu kǎo bāo zi) Being Muslim, the locals don't eat pork, so mutton and beef are common. This is a Fried Mutton Bun. Delicious.

奶香肥牛串 (nǎi xiāng féi niú chuàn) Creamy Fatty Beef Skewers, again with cumin and chilli..

Nang

Skewers

baozi.thumb.jpg.4eb343fe9867a4668560309382899451.jpg

Mutton Bun

liuzhou

liuzhou

新疆烤手馕 (xīn jiāng kǎo shǒu gōng náng)A Xinjiang Flatbread with cumin, chilli, sesame seeds and salt. Accompanies almost every meal. The name nang is etymologically related to the naan bread of the Indian sub-continent and beyond.

Nang

Skewers

Mutton Bun

liuzhou

liuzhou

Xinjiang, for tose who don't know, is China's troubled westernmost province. The local language is closer to Turkish than to Chinese. The original population is mostly Muslim, but in recent years thousands of Han Chinese have been settled there, upsetting the traditions.

新疆烤手馕 (xīn jiāng kǎo shǒu gōng náng)A Xinjiang Flatbread with cumin, chilli, sesame seeds and salt. Accompanies almost every meal. The name nang is etymologically related to the naan bread of the Indian sub-continent.

Nang

Skewers

Mutton Bun

liuzhou

liuzhou

I went further afield today.

新疆烤手馕 (xīn jiāng kǎo shǒu gōng náng)

新疆羊肉烤包子 (xīn jiāng yáng ròu kǎo bāo zi)

奶香肥牛串 ()