Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Food Deliveries


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Having cooked meals and ingredients etc delivered to your office or home is hugely popular here in China. The biggest supplier is Meituan and you see dozens of their electric scooters dashing around every day. There isn't much you can't buy (anything from a raw egg to flock of live ostriches) and delivery is usually within 30 minutes.

 

I have eaten from this source before but today was my first time to order for myself. This issue is due to my being confined to bed in a hospital with a more than usually dysfunctional kitchen.

 

Anyway, here is my introductory dish.

 

IMG_20220915_175330.thumb.jpg.af0fa95bcf0eddcfd4824697dd26d06d.jpg

 

IMG_20220915_175326.thumb.jpg.77fe8f3565008ad47e2c057ea81ee65a.jpg

 

Spicy cumin beef fried rice with a vegetable soup from heaven The broth was indescribable. These dishes are from Lanzhou in NW China.

 

Those who know the China Food Myths topic will note the lack of egg in the fried rice

 

Cost me 26 cents US /  22 pence UK. This includes a huge welcome discount. The regular price is about 12 times that.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Having cooked meals and ingredients etc delivered to your office or home is hugely popular here in China. The biggest supplier is Meituan and you see dozens of their electric scooters dashing around every day. There isn't much you can't buy (anything from a raw egg to flock of live ostriches) and delivery is usually within 30 minutes.

 

I have eaten from this source before but today was my first time to order for myself. This issue is due to my being confined to bed in a hospital with a more than usually dysfunctional kitchen.

 

Anyway, here is my introductory dish.

 

IMG_20220915_175330.thumb.jpg.af0fa95bcf0eddcfd4824697dd26d06d.jpg

 

IMG_20220915_175326.thumb.jpg.77fe8f3565008ad47e2c057ea81ee65a.jpg

 

Spicy cumin beef fried rice with a vegetable soup from heaven The broth was indescribable. These dishes are from Lanzhou in NW China.

 

Those who know the China Food Myths topic will note the lack of egg in the fried rice

 

Cost me 26 cents US /  22 pence UK. This includes a huge welcome discount. The regular price is about 12 times that.

Was the vegetable soup good?  I can't tell if there's sarcasm there or not...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Was the vegetable soup good?  I can't tell if there's sarcasm there or not...

 

Not a drop of sarcasm. It really was excellent. Deeply flavoured and perfectly seasoned. Chicken based but with a good ham in there, I'm sure. Vegetables were perfectly tender without being overdone. 

 

Vegetable soup but certainly not vegetarian soup.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Having cooked meals and ingredients etc delivered to your office or home is hugely popular here in China.

Can you say something about the logistics of this when you are in a hospital bed? Is it delivered directly to you in your room? Are there no Covid restrictions? Or is it delivered to a nursing station and then to you? Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Can you say something about the logistics of this when you are in a hospital bed? Is it delivered directly to you in your room? Are there no Covid restrictions? Or is it delivered to a nursing station and then to you? Thanks. 

 

Good question. There are very strict COVID restrictions (although having a very high-ranking in the city's medical hierarchy friend has allowed a couple of my visitors in who wouldn't have been otherwise). Food deliveries are dropped at a specific station somewhere and each relevant ward notified. Someone (a nursing assistant) collects my dinner from there and brings it to my bedside.

  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Good question.

Thanks very much. I now know more about the logistics of food delivery in a hospital in mainland China than I do in Oakville, Ontario, Canada!  My hospital has a huge food court with multiple different offerings but I never ever figured out how to get it moved from there to my room. Nor did I ever discover how to get a pizza delivered from outside the hospital and this was even before Covid factored into the equation. 

  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks very much. I now know more about the logistics of food delivery in a hospital in mainland China than I do in Oakville, Ontario, Canada!  My hospital has a huge food court with multiple different offerings but I never ever figured out how to get it moved from there to my room. Nor did I ever discover how to get a pizza delivered from outside the hospital and this was even before Covid factored into the equation. 

 

I'd never thought about it either, until the last couple of days. Now I'm thinking about ordering a whole roasted camel to see how they cope.

  • Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

Not a drop of sarcasm. It really was excellent. Deeply flavoured and perfectly seasoned. Chicken based but with a good ham in there, I'm sure. Vegetables were perfectly tender without being overdone. 

 

Vegetable soup but certainly not vegetarian soup.

Glad to hear it.  I'm happy to see you get something satisfying while you're recovering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng) with rice. This is what you may call Kung-po Chicken but no one in China does. On the side, a couple of century eggs in chilli sauce.

 

IMG_20220917_173037.thumb.jpg.85f5898c095eda0e5c54166be67a159c.jpg

 

IMG_20220917_173042.thumb.jpg.68073b9f89b2b64e97ec95aa04246bd1.jpg

 

IMG_20220917_173047.thumb.jpg.5f8f347a867ab9bf9bb10d336f2fb55f.jpg

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

IMG_20220917_173037.thumb.jpg.85f5898c095eda0e5c54166be67a159c.jpg

 

 


Good that you can get proper stuff delivered now - hope it helps with your recovery. I haven’t seen so much fresh peppers in gōng bǎo jī dīng - it that a “regional” deviation ?

Edited by Duvel (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:


Good that you can get proper stuff delivered now - hope it helps with your recovery. I haven’t seen so much fresh peppers in gōng bǎo jī dīng - it that a “regional” deviation ?

 

I suspect what you are seeing as pepper is actually carrot and I've certainly seen that in Sichuan.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

I suspect what you are seeing as pepper is actually carrot and I've certainly seen that in Sichuan.


Green carrot 😜 ?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:


Green carrot 😜 ?!

 

aahh! There is a little green pepper in there. That wouldn't be traditional, no. However, I know the restaurant and it is Sichuan owned. I won't go so far as to call it a "regional" variation outside the region that is that restaurant! 😂 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear you are in a hospital, hope you are free to go the sooner.

I have very limited experience with hospital meals, but it is nice that even with the current restrictions at place, you are allowed to get delivered food from outside. Certainly not when my father "served" some months almost 30 years ago (they wouldn't actually let me in as I was allegedly too young, if we didn't knew some nurses there - my mother best friend)

 

I am not sure if they will let you get some ostriches delivered to your room, it would be funny (and funky) :D

Edited by farcego
forgot the 0 of 30 (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

鱼香肉丝 (yú xiāng ròu sī) fish fragrant pork slivers. The name refers to the sauce being more commonly served with fish. There is no fish in my lunch.

 

Screenshot_20220918_124218_com.sankuai.meituan.thumb.jpg.e38d190544ab0f6d73823618f2708938.jpg

 

I always think this is a great example of  the principle of cutting all the ingredients to be fried to the same shape and size. 

 

Pork, carrot, fresh black woodear fungus, green chilli slivers. Served with rice.

 

I'll replace the image when I get back to civilisation.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lunch. Squid with red and green hot peppers, Chinese celery, garlic, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine.

 

IMG_20220920_123418.thumb.jpg.16bbdf6e40edad5d3c64d87e4dac6b53.jpg

 

Best yet (although mine is better.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lunch was a bit of a screw-up; mostly my fault. First of all I must have pressed the wrong button on the app and accidentally ordered 12 bottles of mineral water rather than my lunch of choice.

 

Once I realised, I sought to correct this but my lunch of choice wasn't the chef's choice and it wasn't available. I was  beginning to panic, then remembered there is an OK restaurant right next to the main hospital entrance. 

 

Like an idiot, I ordered a pizza. From a Chinese restaurant in China (conveniently situated next to a hospital. Here is the app listing

 

Screenshot_20220922_142025_com.sankuai.meituan.thumb.jpg.8fa3ec8621ca58451f47b65e2d7d58b0.jpg and here is what turned up.

 

IMG_20220922_125948.thumb.jpg.799ea2c34449727b163f0c1a7eb91e5b.jpg

 

It was as bad as it looks. At least I had enough water to wash it away.

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...