• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Moving Experience

Hi, John! I'm planning on moving from one coast to the other in a couple of months, the first time I'll have ever lived away from my original home area. I'm looking forward to it, but have no idea how to find out about the regional foods of my new home once I've moved. Do you have any hints I might use? (I'm specifically moving from SoCal to Delaware, but kept the question generic.)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

This is somewhat outside my range of experience. It's been awhile since I moved to a place where the foodways were unfamiliar to me. Obviously, the resources available will depend largely on the interest locals have in their own foods. As it happens, I know someone in Delaware who comes from a family who has been there since the Revolutionary War and has spent his life immersed in this subject. Unfortunately, he is old and grumpy and would never speak to me again if I told you his name, but his existence should encourage you to chat up crotchety oldsters, especially those living in ramshackle old houses with big gardens. Mostly, though, I would think there would be food-intensive bulletin boards online that could get you some tips. Good luck!

Thank-you! This sounds like an excellent idea. (It also sounds like a great way to make new friends!)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!