• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chanterelle Identification

Steve Irby

I was taking my dog for a walk this morning and spotted a nice scattering of mushrooms beneath a live oak tree.  They have the characteristics of  chanterelles with false gills, yellow color, somewhat vase shape on the smaller ones and the growing from the ground and not from a root or stump.    I'm 99% sure they are chanterelles but all the guidance recommends to confirm with an expert.  What do ya'll think?

355369958_IMG_20220913_100802885(1).thumb.jpg.71d1a7af93519141baffa4872ebdd1ae.jpg

IMG_20220913_124031757.thumb.jpg.e7feba6681bcb553f1aa12b8d1f109bb.jpg

IMG_20220913_124043561.thumb.jpg.e7914fc7c652a92afd2bf5e1494d4e7c.jpg

• Like 3

They look good to me, but I am not an expert!  When I am identifying fungi, I always look for local knowledge.  It is always possible that you may have a look-a-like on Florida that I don't have here in Virginia.

• Thanks 1

They look legit. Tear one in half and look inside. The genuine article will be white, and will pull into strips like string cheese.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, chromedome said:

They look legit. Tear one in half and look inside. The genuine article will be white, and will pull into strips like string cheese.

Thanks for the info.  The stems do indeed pull just like string cheese!  I'll walk our dog Ajax first thing in the morning and see if I can add to the 1.25 lbs haul from today.