• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Candy Show 2022 (in Lancaster)

curls

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@curls

Ive got that covered :

You would be doing the asking , not me !

Ha! I suspect that beef will be out of my price range. I'll happily buy their sandwiches and offcuts. And will definitely enjoy window shopping. 

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@curls 

Id be very happy to hear more about the

OffCuts .  are those trimmings from the Agedstuff

that they sell separately ?

sort of like Bacon trimmings , aged country ham trimmings 

Broadbent and others do ?

Offcuts meaning things that used to be less popular: ox tails, tongue, etc.. Just gave that case a quick look. I didn't come prepared to cook in my hotel room.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to document your trip and letting us live vicariously through you! I miss seeing posts like this! Did you get to do a lot of sampling at the Candy show? Were there any equipment you saw and thought, “I need that in my chocolate kitchen!!!”?

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, Eat.Choui said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to document your trip and letting us live vicariously through you! I miss seeing posts like this! Did you get to do a lot of sampling at the Candy show? Were there any equipment you saw and thought, “I need that in my chocolate kitchen!!!”?

There was a bit to sample but most of it was from the large candy companies (Jelly Belly, Cargill, Wilbur, Callebaut, Gertrude Hawk, etc.) and I am already familiar with their products.

Charles Niedermyer from the Pennsylvania College of Technology gave a seminar titled "Artisan Ganaches for Everyday Production" that included a sampling of four different ganache types (classic, classic with sorbitol, vegan, and water ganache). I tried all of those ganaches and am now inspired to experiment with vegan and water ganache.

As far as equipment I would love to have an enrober but I've know that for a long time.  🙂

• Haha 1