• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch city becomes first to ban meat advertising in public spaces

Anna N

Here.

“Haarlem, which lies to the west of Amsterdam and has a population of about 160,000, will enact the prohibition from 2024 after meat was added to a list of products deemed to contribute to the climate crisis.”

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here.

“Haarlem, which lies to the west of Amsterdam and has a population of about 160,000, will enact the prohibition from 2024 after meat was added to a list of products deemed to contribute to the climate crisis.”

The only meat advertisement I recall is the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wienermobile

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The less said….

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The main purpose of advertising is to persuade people into buying things they don't need. We all need food, so that is very low priority in advertising terms. Ever seen an advertisement for lettuce?

Even when food or drink is advertised, it is seldom the actual product that is being advertised, but the brand name.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

40 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Silly Dutch.

Not so silly when you consider how the country will be affected by rising sea levels.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I once saw the actual  Weinermobile drive by.

far more interesting than one might think.  I think there are several of them.

banning the advertising of meat is well , ( will in the black )

9m not sure if this is a FigLeaf , or WindowDressing

or a Narcissistic Indulgence .

possibly more effective , just ban the sale of what ever this stuff is .

Then is will be like Townships in MA that ban all alcohol sales 

which they can .  what then happens is that there are very lage

liquor stores just over the township line .  on ever major road.

in my area , just over the line from the town to my town's eastern edge

is Town Line Liquour .  forgot the name of the liquor over the town line 

in the other direction.

there's Talking the Talk and Walking the Walk 

very different approaches they are .

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Still have my whistle somewhere - a give-away from the Wienermobile guy. They had that ear worm jingle too. Never influenced purchasing in my home. And as @liuzhou notes it is branding and market placement. 

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Even when food or drink is advertised, it is seldom the actual product that is being advertised, but the brand name.

After reading your response to this posting I began to realize how little advertising I am now subjected to. I do not watch television. My radio station is state run and therefore ad-free. I no longer get any print magazines, newspapers or flyers. So my ad consumption is limited to the Internet. Limited is perhaps not the right word! Food advertising doesn’t seem to appear. 

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Not so silly when you consider how the country will be affected by rising sea levels.

Very silly because it will have no effect on sea levels.

It makes them feel better though I guess.

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Very silly because it will have no effect on sea levels.

Very shortsighted answer !

Of course all those cows, sheeps and piglets on the other side of the dike will take up significant volume, hence the rising water level will rise even faster* 😜

---
* unless they are - of course - fat heritage breeds, in which case they will float. Hence my recommendation to focus on those instead of banning all critters ...

• Haha 3

id add this thought (s ) :

if a Haarlem 

decided to ban 

advertisements for Beef 

for their reasons

Why not just ban beef ,  

and save the middle ?

very complex emotional strada here

but . please 

if its the Cow that puts you under

then , No Cows.

• Like 1

It would make for a more rounded story if we knew how much beef advertising was happening prior to the ban. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Well - although the Durch wouldn’t admit it their food culture is not much different to the Northern German one - so think there are plenty advertisements and they will center on convenience foods (e.g. bitterballen, sausages, …), most of McDonalds / other chains, other food chains depicting „regular“ square meals, food delivery ads - even pasta with meat sauce. I‘d say definitely more than Oscar Mayer wieners !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4

To me it is somewhat similar to the media about water use and electricity here. They can't enforce it well but it brings it to people's' attention and maybe they will seek info and be more aware.

• Like 1

If you ban all mention of something in public I’m not sure how that brings it to mind. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

If you ban all mention of something in public I’m not sure how that brings it to mind. 

The media discussing the ban often starts curiosity and discussion, Just my experience. Media is powerful.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:11 AM, Anna N said:

After reading your response to this posting I began to realize how little advertising I am now subjected to. I do not watch television. My radio station is state run and therefore ad-free. I no longer get any print magazines, newspapers or flyers. So my ad consumption is limited to the Internet. Limited is perhaps not the right word! Food advertising doesn’t seem to appear. 

I too have noticed this. Every once in a while someone will mention a "cute commercial" and I never have any idea what they're talking about. I am really loving my commercial free world.

• Like 2