• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Those Amazing Newfies

For those who have no knowledge of Newfoundland, Canada's 10th province, it is an island lurking up there by Greenland. Ancient fishing power, and a kind of Glocca Morra place. Modern , but off the map.

Fittingly, it has its very own time zone. As all Canadians know: It's a half hour later in Newfoundland. Accent, I believe, on the last syllable. Newfies talk really funny. It is , if you can figure it, a lilting mix of English, Celtic (all sorts) and Portugese.

Have you seen the movie "The Shipping News?" Newfoundland. Pixillated.

Polish jokes here in the USA are Newfie jokes in Canada.

As I mentioned in another thread, I received an interesting postcard from our freddychef (where are you, freddy?) with listings of Newfie dishes, What an etemological delight!

Stogger

Peaseduff

Barm

Vang

Dogs Dickey Loaf

Clingy Squizzled eggs

Crubeen

Dunch

and more.

Are they not magical names? Can anyone provide recipes/explanations?

It's a half hour later in Newfoundland. And Newfies are widely know and both the salt of the earth and the biggest partiests on earth. Ever been there in February? Party comes easy.

I need to visit.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

As I mentioned in another thread, I received an interesting postcard from our freddychef (where are you, freddy?) with listings of Newfie dishes,  What an etemological delight!

Stogger

Peaseduff

Barm

Vang

Dogs Dickey Loaf

Clingy Squizzled eggs

Crubeen

Dunch

and more.

Are they not magical names?  Can anyone provide recipes/explanations?

What a colorful menu that would make for my next dinnah pahty, deah.

I must know how to make Barm and Vang as soon as possible. Maybe when he gets back we can ask Plotnicki to seek out the definitive, highest quality Barm avaliable.

Seriously, these sound like names of Irish dishes. Crubeen was referred to by Joyce in Ulyses. Barm is a form of bread, isn't it? What is the connection between the partying Newfies and the Irish?

Edited by jaybee (log)

Seriously, these sound like names of Irish dishes.  Crubeen was referred to by Joyce in Ulyses.  Barm is a form of bread, isn't it?  What is the connection between the partying Newfies and the Irish?

The connection, mon cher, is transparent. Lots of (long ago) Irish on The Rock.

And a doff of the hat. Couldn't make it through "Ulysses." Well, in retrospect, I was only seventeen!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

And a doff of the hat.  Couldn't make it through "Ulysses."  Well, in retrospect, I was only seventeen!

It was only the raging hormones of 17 that drive me on throough Ulysses. In those days, the alternative for sexy reading was the brassiere section of the Sears catalog.

Oh, there was always Lady Chatterly...and Mellors the game keeper. (I almost forgot).

Edited by jaybee (log)

Stogger

Peaseduff

Barm

Vang

Dogs Dickey Loaf

Clingy Squizzled eggs

Crubeen

Dunch

Are you sure some of these aren't really verbs?

Archie:

Some are nouns.

"I'm going to dunch off to the Crubeen and dang some Dogs Dickey Loaf. "Newfie Bud!" Vang! That's barm stuff."

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

[in those days, the alternative for sexy reading was the brassiere section of the Sears catalog.

Oh, there was always Lady Chatterly...and Mellors the game keeper.  (I almost forgot).

And Frank J. Slaughter. What I didn't learn from "Doctor's Wives!"

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Or, Lady Chatterly's Newfie Meal...

Mellors ran his hands slowly over her Vang. "Barm" she sighed, as she raised his Dogs Dickey Loaf to her lips, looking at it hungrily. "My, you're a Dunch Stogger" Mellors said softly, reaching for her hot Crubeen with his bared teeth. "Peaseduff, peaseduff," she pleaded, losing herself finally.

Edited by jaybee (log)

dunch, in my Labradorian understanding is an adjective, to mean numb:

example:

ah, me arse is gone dunch, 'by!

i believe it always must be used with the noun "arse"... only an arse can "go dunch."

but it might be different on the rock than in labrador...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Or,  Lady Chatterly's Newfie Meal...

Mellors ran his hands slowly over her Vang.  "Barm" she sighed, as she raised his Dogs Dickey Loaf to her lips, looking at it hungrily.  "My, you're a Dunch Stogger" Mellors said softly, reaching for her hot Crubeen with his bared teeth.  "Peaseduff, peaseduff," she pleaded, losing herself finally.

I'm getting all hot and bothered! :biggrin:

Very, very, funny.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

dunch, in my Labradorian understanding is an adjective, to mean numb:

example:

ah, me arse is gone dunch, 'by!

i believe it always must be used with the noun "arse"... only an arse can "go dunch."

but it might be different on the rock than in labrador...

See:

Just mention Newfoundland and people get funny!

Joe...you from Labrador, lad?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Ah lass, then we have Bloom's Newfie meal as described by himself:

He kissed me vang under the Moorish wall and I thought

peaseduff well as well him as another and then I asked him with

my barm to ask again yes and then he asked me would

I yes my mountain flower and first I put my clingy squizzled eggs

around him yes and drew his dickey dog loaf down to me stogger so he

could feel my crubeen all perfume yes and his heart

was going dunch dunch dunch like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Ah lass, then we have Bloom's Newfie meal as described by himself:

He kissed me vang under the Moorish wall and I thought

peaseduff well as well him as another and then I asked him with

my barm to ask again yes and then he asked me would

I yes my mountain flower and first I put my clingy squizzled eggs

around him yes and drew his dickey dog loaf down to me stogger so he

could feel my crubeen all perfume yes and his heart

was going dunch dunch dunch like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

:biggrin:

I can see Daphne had much to contend with.

I'm looking forward to posting the remaining Newfie dishes tomorrow to see what, er, heights you can rise to.

In the style of, say, Edith Wharton.

You are a Bad Man. (So bring on the Omsbuddies!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Stogger = steamed pudding; also refers to a hearty serving of food

Peaseduff = steamed or baked pudding made with peas (duff = pudding)

Barm = bread starter made with yeast and flour (think sourdough)

Vang = melted pork fat, eaten with cod

Dogs Dickey Loaf = "dickie" is Newfie for "rooster", so maybe it's a chicken dish?

Clingy Squizzled eggs = not a clue - I found a reference to squizzled bacon, so maybe it's just fried or scrambled eggs

Crubeen = pickled pigs' feet

Dunch = molasses-sweetened cake containing pork fat; also refers to improperly risen bread

It's amazing what you can find online - like this Dictionary of Newfoundland English.

Stogger = steamed pudding; also refers to a hearty serving of food

Peaseduff = steamed or baked pudding made with peas (duff = pudding)

Barm = bread starter made with yeast and flour (think sourdough)

Vang = melted pork fat, eaten with cod

Dogs Dickey Loaf = "dickie" is Newfie for "rooster", so maybe it's a chicken dish?

Clingy Squizzled eggs = not a clue - I found a reference to squizzled bacon, so maybe it's just fried or scrambled eggs

Crubeen = pickled pigs' feet

Dunch = molasses-sweetened cake containing pork fat; also refers to improperly risen bread

It's amazing what you can find online - like this Dictionary of Newfoundland English.

Coastcat: welcome, and many thanks! Some actual asnwers and not just amusing frippery. :biggrin:

(Er,You Newfie, 'by?)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

recommended download, if you're into that:

newfinese, by buddy wassisname and the other fellers. you might catch a few more newfenese expressions...

and yeah, im originally from happy valley-goose bay, labrador, but now i live in the great city of montreal.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I'm pretty sure that Newfoundland was where Canadians first learned to say "eh". Lots of Irish settlers in Newfoundland, so some of those words and dishes probably have origins there.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My girlfirend recently went to Newfoundland. btw, she says its pronounced : prounounced New -Found-land. not "New finland" as I have always referred it to. but she's Irish, born and bred. so they talk funny to begin with. they have some crazy ways up there and she visited in November. pretty feckin cold and dreary to the the umpteenth point. She said that she found a can of seal meat in the Printmaking Studio she was visiting. I promptly sent her on a hunt. not for seal pups, but for a can of Seal Meat. alas, none could be found in the markets. That would be a great conversation piece.

She did say she tried the Battered Cod Tongue in my honor (that's my girl!) and found them to be distgusting. slimy was her description. One of my good friends, Wally, a hulking man beast of immenent proportion hails from Newfoundland. he sayd she didn;t go to the best place. go figure. Summer is supposed to be beautiful up there...

I hope having the "answers" doesn't end the literary supplement!  More, please.

For you, Suzanne, anything. Maggie's Mystery Basket of Newfoundland foods continues. And mysteries they are. And I'm not making them up. (again, Freddychef, where are you?)

Bim

Pinchgut

Rumper

Swish

Flacoon

Lassy

Proggins

Hunchy

(I'm making this entirely too easy for you, jaybee.)

Whatever these are, they are often "paired ", with tea, spruce beer, or the legendary Screech . Because I have never participated in a screech tasting, I quote from "How to be a Canadian" by Will and Ian Ferguson. Douglas and McIntyre, publishers. They say it so well.

"Rum. Cheap rum. Cheap Jamaican rum. Wrathful, firebreathing, eyeball-bleeding, down the hatch, sear-yer-gut and melt-yer-eyebrows Jamaican rotgut.

...Centuries ago, Newfoundlanders began trading salt fish to Jamaica in return for rum....the bilateral "rum for fish" trade has continued to this day. Jamaican rum is now the mainstay of Newfoundlanders everywhere, and salt fish is now the national dish of Jamaica. The Jamaicans got the better part of the deal."

In national polling, Newfies have more sex....by a wide margin..than any other Canadians. Or so they say!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

OK, Lily. I finally lost it on the Joyce -- saltine crumbs and Big House Red everywhere.

Somewhere in all of this is a new sig line for somebody.

Archie: Saltine crumbs? Sorry!

But the credit is all to Jaybee, for his perfervid imagination, and, it appears, choices in reading materials. :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com