• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tin Building, By George (Jean-Georges, That Is)

weinoo

I paid my first visit to The Tin Building yesterday, about a 2.5 mile round-trip, so a good exercise walk - though I sure wish our lower east side waterfront wasn't so fucking horrendous.

I didn't eat at ay of the restaurants or anything like that - plenty of others have, and will in the days to come...

https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-drink-new-york/tin-building-jean-georges-seaport

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/dining/jean-georges-vongerichten-tin-building-food-hall.html

Sietsema - https://ny.eater.com/2022/8/30/23323065/tin-building-jean-georges-vongerichten-review

There are a few tiny spots along the walk, when you can get right next to the river, and where a decent view may be had...

IMG_7604.thumb.jpeg.856395b98589fa8402798c327365b157.jpeg

And there are others where the view isn't exactly great...though the graffiti is pretty damn good...

IMG_7599.thumb.jpeg.a233f0694edc01cda6533fed61201728.jpeg

I'm sure the comparisons to Eataly are apt, though I found it much more multi-culti that Eataly is.  Browsing around the various "markets" is something I could do for hours. I have never seen so many olive oils or vinegars assembled in one place...

IMG_7602.thumb.jpeg.0856871e4d8404f5fc8659a10429468e.jpeg

And they have this, at least currently...and not just yuzu, but a number of flavors as well as classic...

68375002490__084E9985-F434-414C-81FD-8AD76F4C3FBB.fullsizerender.thumb.jpeg.383519774e528f42e713995cebd96dd8.jpeg

So how bad can it be? Even the steaks looked good, and not too outrageously priced...

IMG_7601.thumb.jpeg.cdfa418564809264590fee4331147463.jpeg

It's gorgeous, and I look forward to many more visits, especially in the dead of winter, when most of the pain in the ass innocent bystanders tourists will be home. I don't know, but does JGV do this kind of thing better than most?

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

do you really the price ?

just curious .

I did note the prices; pretty sure those boneless rib eyes were $28/lb.  The things I surveyed in the markets, those with prices I know by having bought the same product elsewhere, were at least $1 or $2 more than I would pay, especially since I know where to get them for less.

Strangely, the Bordier butters were way less expensive than I've paid elsewhere - I was actually wondering if they were priced correctly. It will be interesting to see how the prices look in 3 months and then in 6 months.

Another good thing - there are a lot of jobs in there.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Did you check out the Asian  ingredient section?  I'm curious about their selection/prices.  I'd imagine they'd be a LOT more than I'm willing to pay - especially since they're even further than Chinatown!  But I wonder if they have some harder to find things....  I'll definitely wait until some of the buzz has died down before making it down there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Did you check out the Asian  ingredient section?  I'm curious about their selection/prices.  I'd imagine they'd be a LOT more than I'm willing to pay - especially since they're even further than Chinatown!  But I wonder if they have some harder to find things....  I'll definitely wait until some of the buzz has died down before making it down there.

I didn't give that area any time; I walked through it, because the entrance to the Red Pearl is through a curtain in the rear of the section. I thought if there was a seat at the bar, I'd sit down and order a few things for lunch. Bar seating is 4 seats at this point, so that wasn't happening.

My guess is that the prices for stuff you have purchased elsewhere will be considerably higher; however, he may have sourced some ingredients only Jean-Georges can get his hands on. Or he'll come up with some of his own, as in the olive oil section.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 months later...

Back to the Tin Building yesterday (the days open now include Wednesday - Sunday); blissfully empty of tourists both local and from afar.

Picked up a liter of 2022 harvest Spanish olive oil. And a just brought out from the kitchen rotisserie chicken ($19), which if they're using the same chickens as the ones they are selling in the butchery section, is a good thing.

They had some gorgeous looking pork/pig products too.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b9df6be601734aaff1896393c33184a.jpeg

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

That is much more exciting than the slow moving rotisseries that I am a accustomed to. Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, KennethT said:

yeah, I saw that - but that looks like a separate roaster from the chicken one

Indeed; and if there are two of them, I'm guessing they can do at least a dozen birds in each one.

50 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I am wondering whether Breville or Anova will bring this to the ambitious home cook … 

Not Cuisinart?

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Of course not - they have a rotisserie in their portfolio and wouldn’t cannibalize their own product …

😜

Breville offers a rotisserie, so that leaves Anova.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

no video for me either

drunk.jpeg.e09d7a3a488ddfb90efb5dc32373c4e9.jpeg

No need:

Imagine 3 oversized homies dancing around a burning barrel to the relentless rap of Ice-T in the Bronx ...

Now replace the homies by naked disemboweled chickens, the burning barrel by a regular flame and Ice-Ts music by the sound of dripping chicken fat. And imagine that scene happening a few kilometers more to the south ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Haha 3