• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The county outsources to a fulfillment company.  They offer choices.  I could have had a hand mixer, but only in mint green.

Oxo bowls do seem rather cheap for 15 years.
The  company I used to work for had a catalog from Tiffany for my first few milestone anniversaries. I got a Waterford vase that I still have, a Tiffany glass pitcher that I broke and a nice pair of gold earrings. In response to complaints that most of the items were geared towards women, they switched to a more generic fulfillment company that offered things like fishing poles, tents and sleeping bags. I picked a solar charging array for my 20 year award. I can’t say I’ve ever figured out how to make it work. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 4:28 PM, lemniscate said:

I would buy that in a hot minute in USD.  Aldi is new to my area, but it looks like this item is not stocked in the US.

Shame.

We have a very similar model that came from Lidl, it was a gift but I understand that they retail at around £75 when available, not sure where Lidl shops are distributed across the globe but hope that you might have that option if you are in an Aldi free zone.

No personal experience but I understand that the Lidl Thermomix type machine is very popular, to the extent that people will queue through the night at Lidl shops in France when such devices are expected.  Not sure of the price but a fraction of what must be paid for a Thermomix. 

• 2 months later...

The Asko oven that we put in 4 years ago started throwing an error code related to the pyrolytic cleaning function whenever our power went out (which happens reasonably often). The service guy was out several times saying magic incantations, mucking about with the locking mechanism and cycling the breaker, etc. The final time he got it working he basically said that we should ask for a replacement if it happens again. He left it with the self-cleaning running and when that finished it wouldn't unlock the door.

A month or so of drama with the company and they decided to refund us for the oven. We had pretty much lost confidence in the service since this guy said he wanted to drop them.

I'm so glad we bought through the local appliance store rather than a box store because they were good about getting involved and calling their sales rep.

So may I introduce our new Miele that amazingly arrived and was installed before Christmas.

image.thumb.jpeg.cef4f272d676971dfbed04087e03aaf9.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

2 hours ago, haresfur said:

The Asko oven that we put in 4 years ago started throwing an error code related to the pyrolytic cleaning function whenever our power went out (which happens reasonably often). The service guy was out several times saying magic incantations, mucking about with the locking mechanism and cycling the breaker, etc. The final time he got it working he basically said that we should ask for a replacement if it happens again. He left it with the self-cleaning running and when that finished it wouldn't unlock the door.

A month or so of drama with the company and they decided to refund us for the oven. We had pretty much lost confidence in the service since this guy said he wanted to drop them.

I'm so glad we bought through the local appliance store rather than a box store because they were good about getting involved and calling their sales rep.

So may I introduce our new Miele that amazingly arrived and was installed before Christmas.

image.thumb.jpeg.cef4f272d676971dfbed04087e03aaf9.jpeg

We have had Miele ovens for the past ten or so years. They are absolutely brilliant mine still holds its temp within a degree or two (as measured by my ThermoWorks probe and logger). It gets super hot at the top end and will happily chug away at 25 or 30°C if that’s what you need. We've had great aftersales service from Miele too - never had an issue with the ovens but they’ve come and fixed out wine fridge and tumble drier when needed. 

You’re going to love it!

• Like 1

Not a new oven, but just as important for me. Japanese 26 cm cast iron skillet / frying pan. I have a 20cm one, which is fine for one steak or the likes (I never cook and rarely eat steaks!) but needed a larger one for more complex (or just bigger) things.

1455600503_JapaneseFryingPan.thumb.jpg.fb892c4e53be6de1c34077318a4b0b74.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Not a new oven, but just as important for me. Japanese 26 cm cast iron skillet / frying pan. I have a 20cm one, which is fine for one steak or the likes (I never cook and rarely eat steaks!) but needed a larger one for more complex (or just bigger) things.

1455600503_JapaneseFryingPan.thumb.jpg.fb892c4e53be6de1c34077318a4b0b74.jpg

I thought all Westerners ate was steak?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

We had a Miele for 17 years…it is still going strong…we moved.

it got up to temperature so quickly.  I would buy another in a heart beat.  

I feel that way about their dishwashers.  I love them.

• Like 3

@haresfur, is that an electric oven, or gas-fired? It looks lovely. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@haresfur, is that an electric oven, or gas-fired? It looks lovely. 

It is electric as was the one it replaced. We have a gas cooktop, although there is a strong push by the environmentalists and government to move away from gas. I wouldn't have much problem with that if we got rid of all the coal-fired electric.

By the way the oven racks and ceramic-coated trays from the old oven are about 3 mm wider so aren't really usable. One really weird thing I find with European ovens is that they have plated metal vertical bits to hold the racks rather than the molded indents on N American ovens. They don't seem to be as sturdy. The oven comes with one set of rollers like a file cabinet so at least one tray slides in and out easily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

17 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

We had a Miele for 17 years…it is still going strong…we moved.

it got up to temperature so quickly.  I would buy another in a heart beat.  

Me too. Sad thing is the equivalent model to ours is now roughly three times the price it was when we bought it 😳

For this reason alone I can never move house. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow, @Porthos! Congratulations! It looks terrific, even with unpacked boxes!

• Like 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, heidih said:

DESK - sorry major hand issue

Nope, our liquor cabinet.  The other 3 bedrooms are designated as the office,  the guest bedroom, and my Sweetie's sewing room. 

20221224_102552.jpg

Here's the aforementioned cat, Sassy. 

20221224_103324.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 10

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My recent fun stuff:

My sister sent us a box of Harry & David's Royal Riviera pears. This used to be a Christmas tradition during my parents' later years: buy boxes for families and friends, and one for all of us. After they both died, we stopped. It's a nice flash of nostalgia. If I can actually get them while they're ripe and not gone mealy, it will be even better! (I picked out the first one this morning, and it was a bit firm yet.)

20221223_161414.jpg

A friend down the road gave me this great set of potholders, oven mitt and towels:

20221223_160907.jpg

I love the sentiment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Bought white chocolate gingerbread bark (clearance rack at Whole Foods). I like white chocolate (as a confection) but the fail on these was they had a dusting of the gingerbread crumbs. Literally crumbs...it could have been really good if they had little pieces of cookies mixed into the bark, the gingerbread dust was nicely spiced. I missed out on a lot of holiday treats this year so I was hoping this would fill a niche.

• Sad 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I got a 10" Victorianox bread knife. I put a bug in Santa's ear when I realized that my Henkel bread knife was older than our marriage (35+ years.) I cannot believe how nicely and effortlessly it slices bread. Duh! I am aware of the sharpness or lack thereof of my other knives and sharpen them regularly but since I have neither the skill to nor the knowledge of how to sharpen a bread knife I just soldiered on with it.

• Like 5