• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

I use the no-cut gloves and find they work quite well.  I replaced my old mandoline with this Benriner and it's much sharper thus lots easier to use.

Thanks for the tip on using the d/w to clean, I'll continue to clean it by hand, it

so easy to do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lindag said:

Thanks for the tip on using the d/w to clean, I'll continue to clean it by hand, it

so easy to do.

I agree. An easy rinse. Sometimes if left overnight and does get randomly stained with red beets and such, we would run it through the dishwasher as it says 'dishwasher safe'. Removing the screws is easy if a deep clean is needed. 

• Like 1

I'm partial to the Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline V-7000 - I find it cuts well, even deli meats- I have "no-cut" gloves but seldom (if ever) use them - this unit has an excellent/efficient guard/feeding system that deals with all but the smallest nubbin

p

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm looking forward to playing with these. Thai limes in brine.

Interesting. Are they makrut limes? The label picture looks more smooth but I can’t make out what’s inside the jar. What's in the brine?  Are the limes intact or cut in some way?  I’m wondering how similar they are to the salt preserved citrus common in Middle Eastern cooking. 
Looking forward to seeing how you use them!

• Like 1

They are smooth skinned limes. Uncut.

Ingredients are: Water, Lime, Salt, Acetic Acid.

They are similar to these Zhuang Preserved Lemons. In fact, I'll probably use them to make a version of the recipe on page 2 of that thread. The Zhuang people are related to the Thai, at least linguistically.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/1/2022 at 11:31 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Interesting. Are they makrut limes? The label picture looks more smooth but I can’t make out what’s inside the jar. What's in the brine?  Are the limes intact or cut in some way?  I’m wondering how similar they are to the salt preserved citrus common in Middle Eastern cooking. 
Looking forward to seeing how you use them!

Here  is one extracted from the jar. I'll be using it later today. It'll turn up here somewhere.

277333835_ThaiBrinedLime.thumb.jpg.934755187c9c39a00f764930e2bbcb8a.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 5/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, Smithy said:

I've never worked with a Danish dough whisk but any sort of whisk looks to me like it would be very difficult to move through bread dough. Help me visualize this, please. At what stage does someone use this, and why is it so great?

The Danish dough whisks are surprisingly easy to use and mix quick breads and doughs rapidly with less handling so the biscuits, scones, etc., are not overworked so don't become tough.  

I have a longer one (15"), my first, purchased at Solvang in 1984 - the Santa Barbara Kennel Club had to move their show from UCSB because of the Olympics, so were held in Goleta.  I stayed at a motel in Solvang so did a bit of shopping and came across this and other unusual whisks in one of the kitchen stores.

I used it for years and mentioned it in posts years ago.  It is ideal for my arthritic hands, easier to hold than smaller utensils.  I have recommended them many times.

Besides the long one, I have two 13" and an 11" that has a smaller loop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a couple of new appliances.  I have an anonymous friend who sends me interesting things from time to time.  A few months ago a Pizza baker that is surprisingly versatile and I have used it a lot.  It cooks many things, not just pizza - terrific for quesadillas, burritos, heating filled pocket pitas, and fantastic for heating frozen quiches.

On Monday, a package arrived from Amazon that contained a "Holstein Non-Stick, 6-Section Multi-Food Maker - Arepas, Mini Pancakes, Corncakes and More.  In an email I received several recipes for Arepas and links to some YouTube videos of how to make them and the various fillings to add to them.  

I checked on the product page and it says"Make 6 Arepas in Approximately 7 minutes.  

I have yet to open the box but the things on the product page sound very interesting.  The reviews are mostly good and some are in Spanish from other countries.

I ordered some of the special cornmeal, both yellow and white, required for preparing Arepas, now available on Amazon.  I know when I attempted Arepas a few years ago, I had to go to Vallarta supermarket to find it and they only had one brand.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Norm Matthews 

that does look cool.

interesting video father down on Amazon's page

I hope it works well

for $ 10 , I have my doubts.

looking forward to your review.

I;d be more inclined to encourage a Charlie & car buddies to have an empanada making party like the holiday tamale making gatherings ;)

• Like 1

@Shelby got my attention when she asked @KennethT about a bowl he has.  When he told her where he got them I ordered one too but I broke it and they were out of stock by then but they had the same style in a smaller size so I got 4 of them.  I think I like the smaller ones better.  The other two are in the refrigerator with leftovers. 

unnamed-14.jpg

• Like 4

One more task for the Danish Dough Whisk, at which it excels!  Blending the thick, very stiff and sticky combinations of ground dried fruits, nuts, coconut, and etc., for strudel and cookie fillings, sugarplums and so on.

I used to use a large spoon, with a handle long enough that I could grip it with bond hands and even then, it was a difficult chore to get the mass mixed thoroughly.

The Danish Dough Whisk  does a fantastic job of blending the mass with much less effort.

I've also used them for marzipan and other nut butters to which I added spices and other ingredients.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

After one of the worst months of our lives, an incredible present arrived today...and such a surprise. 

If you know us, you know that I am constantly making ice cream for Ed and friends.  I bought this wonderful little Ice 100 machine, the kind with a bowl you have to freeze, about 14 years ago in Moab, Utah, for $5, second hand.  It's had yeoman service all these years.

Well today began the Annual (and last ever) Dog Weekend and the guys from New Jersey arrived bearing a commercial quality Ice 100, the kind with the freezing compressor.  I am in  7th heaven and tomorrow we make our first gelato.  Now that is fun indeed. 

• Like 14

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

10 minutes ago, Darienne said:

After one of the worst months of our lives, an incredible present arrived today...and such a surprise. 

If you know us, you know that I am constantly making ice cream for Ed and friends.  I bought this wonderful little Ice 100 machine, the kind with a bowl you have to freeze, about 14 years ago in Moab, Utah, for $5, second hand.  It's had yeoman service all these years.

Well today began the Annual (and last ever) Dog Weekend and the guys from New Jersey arrived bearing a commercial quality Ice 100, the kind with the freezing compressor.  I am in  7th heaven and tomorrow we make our first gelato.  Now that is fun indeed. 

You are going to love it.  I had one of those for years.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

You are going to love it.  I had one of those for years.

My ICE-100 still lives on my counter, though I confess not having used it recently.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 8/2/2022 at 8:06 AM, liuzhou said:

Here  is one extracted from the jar. I'll be using it later today. It'll turn up here somewhere.

277333835_ThaiBrinedLime.thumb.jpg.934755187c9c39a00f764930e2bbcb8a.jpg

That’s a beautiful plate!  Sure the lime will be lovely too.