• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Nice to have that vintage stuff - much heavier duty. That gets "hard wired" in to the house's gas supply? (forgive me, I've lived in an apartment for a long time!)

Yes. I'll be running a dedicated gas line under the deck for the grill. It will have an easy hose disconnect at the deck location.  

Last night I put a couple of things on the LP Weber (about the same vintage) I have in the driveway. Gas tank ran out. Put on another tank, half full that was acting funny a few months ago. Still acting funny. Into the house I go with the food to finish it up.

I had been eyeballing this grill on Craigslist for a few weeks now. It was still there this morning, so I sent a low ball offer. It was accepted, to my surprise, as long as I could come immediately. The guy selling was not getting good a Craigslist experience with it. Lots of eejits out there don't you know.

I've done full rebuilds on more than a few of these. This one is going to be easy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Excellent find! I was going to suggest a forum/website with resources for your restoration, but I see you’re already there!🤣

You betcha. We love to gloat on that forum....

Been a member there for years, but primarily on the charcoal side of the world. Picked up my first gas Weber about 16 months ago, another vintage 2002 year Genesis.

• Haha 1

And as long as I'm in the gloating stage, I found this just after New Years up at the MA/NH border. $40.00

Another garage queen, no porcelain chips. Early 2000's 22" Weber Performer Charcoal with gas assist for easy lighting. New never used 22" cooking grate. I've got the 5lb gas canister in the garage, it's out of date for refilling but I'll just needto grease a palm or two.

It too needs a full clean, restore. Stainless nuts and bolts etc. Just one more project.

My wife tells me I have a problem.

Those barrels in the back? Gonna be rain barrels. Yep, another project.

Maybe she's right. 

IMG_20210504_190625664.thumb.jpg.04676d11581774ee89b1ea5c8bd45a02.jpg

Edited by CentralMA (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

You would’ve loved my vintage Char Broil 940 (I think).  Heavy duty all around, cast iron grills, rotisserie...that thing was the bomb. Orchard Supply Hardware about 1990. I still have the manual somewhere.. 100% wood/charcoal. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In the late '70sm this was our daily go-to grill.    Plugged in, had an exhaust hose that fit into a window gasket.    Steaks, chops, kabobs, corn, you name it.    It fed the family for a half dozen years.   

Then we had the house reshingled and didn't want its exhaust discoloring the new stuff.     It was a really great friend.    No smoke indoor grilling year round.    A short-lived Jenn Air product.

865073718_ScreenShot2021-05-04at7_56_39PM.png.3dc8657ee793889092a2b8a5e37ae1a2.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

You would’ve loved my vintage Char Broil 940 (I think).  Heavy duty all around, cast iron grills, rotisserie...that thing was the bomb. Orchard Supply Hardware about 1990. I still have the manual somewhere.. 100% wood/charcoal. 

If you ever find one of these, @CentralMA....I wasn't kidding:

IMG_4079.thumb.jpeg.e9b76aae00e555664db4cdf00ef2b76b.jpeg

IMG_4080.thumb.jpeg.fc63f24b74ecf3478bc00d894016854a.jpeg

If it has this attachment, you'll really be in business...

IMG_4081.thumb.JPG.02b57830baa1c5efedbf536fadea184f.JPG

I loved that thing. Was great cooking for parties. And it looked good right next to a classic, black 22" Weber kettle.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thank You , Enablers !

I though I deserved a treat .DSC09375.thumb.jpg.b139c38b9ab0a52834007d3ee9ff24a2.jpg

I dont really need the middle item , but well ...

the masher on the L was my mothers.  it has a green handle , painted over wood

\a long long long time ago;  it pre-dates WW II.  the oxo on the R I use all the time

so now I have three !  the middle new one might be more efficient 

when I mash up Bean w Bacon soup , the way i like it.

will report back on that.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

As some people here know , Im Fond of my Fonde-less pans 

I enabled myself this time :

DSC09378.thumb.jpg.db991319b3849ac3bb6bbee98e62488c.jpg

the flat whisk on the L is Cuisi-Pro , over 20 years old.   they had or might still have great stuff

A Canadiene company I think .  have their Micro-Plane's and measuring spoons and cups.

the Cuisi has a little damage on one wire where the silicone separated.

soooo 

note the three on the R  Different sizes , sold as one unit .  nicely made

and I though id like the GoodGrips silicone coated whisk 

why not.

many of of know , Red is Best , so there it is.   these flat whisks 

work well when dealing w Fonde dans YourPan

Fond-Less or not.  if you dont have a flat whisk , consider it.

Red is Best

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

I do have a similar whisk, mine has a wooden handle, got it from KAF years ago.

They're great, aren't they?  My current one has a wooden handle also but the wood has split.  I just ordered an all-metal one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

hmmmm, do those ears stick up?  the metal pans I have are flat so they clip together without a (big) gap....

Oh gosh, I didn’t think of that!

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

hmmmm, do those ears stick up?  the metal pans I have are flat so they clip together without a (big) gap....

Yes they do....thanks for picking up on this.   There is a 1/4" gap when pans are inverted.  I was able to cancel my order and then placed another order for Lodge's cast iron bread pans....they're the smaller size but maybe will still work.

the pans in that pix are 5x9 but you can adapt the dough qty to any size.

my crowd wanted bigger slices . . . and didn't like the changing size of rounds . . . so....

I still do rounds for specific dishes/uses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I do have a similar whisk, mine has a wooden handle, got it from KAF years ago.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

They're great, aren't they?  My current one has a wooden handle also but the wood has split.  I just ordered an all-metal one.

This one?

1362438222_DoughmixerIMG_1286.jpeg.ba7576ba104951dff481c0e6694fbda1.jpeg

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I've never worked with a Danish dough whisk but any sort of whisk looks to me like it would be very difficult to move through bread dough. Help me visualize this, please. At what stage does someone use this, and why is it so great?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

This one?

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Yes indeed.  I think every kitchen should have one.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown