• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from the land of Shrimp & Grits!

CookBot

Hey there -- I can't say I'm a long-time lurker who decided to join, because I was only reading eGullet for a few days before I knew I wanted an account. 

I'm a private chef in the Coastal Carolinas.  I  lost interest in restaurant cooking, and now find it much more gratifying to focus on excellent home cooking.  I'm fortunate to be able to work for a single family who have very broad interests in food (and no food restrictions or allergies at all!).

Apart from food issues, my interests are film noir, literary fiction, and collecting vintage perfumes. 

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

• Like 7

Hello @cookbot, I shall be interested to hear your discoveries and thoughts about restaurant v.s. private cooking. Also, perhaps in the future you might treat us to a close desription of one of your meals.

Lots of folk here are very friendly. You're sure to soon meet some fast friends. Welcome to eG!

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Welcome to the forum and I have to ask - is that your kitty as your avatar?

Thanks for the welcome, and no, that's not my kitty.  My cat Pickles would be terrified of any cat who looked that mean!

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Hello @cookbot, I shall be interested to hear your discoveries and thoughts about restaurant v.s. private cooking. Also, perhaps in the future you might treat us to a close desription of one of your meals.

Lots of folk here are very friendly. You're sure to soon meet some fast friends. Welcome to eG!

Thank you very much!  And after I get up to speed on the etiquette around here, I'll def share some of my meal methods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Thank you very much!  And after I get up to speed on the etiquette around here, I'll def share some of my meal methods.

Including shrimp & grits? ^_^

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

Etiquette? We don't need no stinkin etiquette.  

• Haha 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Hello and welcome, @CookBot! We have had private chefs here in the past; I've lost track as to whether we still do (except for you) but there are plenty of skilled professionals as well as interested amateurs like myself. We'll all enjoy learning more about your cookery styles.

If you have any questions about how to use the forums, or where (or whether) to post something, feel free to ask a host by PM (Personal Messenger). We usually get back quickly, although as volunteers sometimes we're away at our Day Jobs.... There is also a technical support forum for members.

Do you rely much on cookbooks, or have your own repertoire and methods?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, Smithy said:

If you have any questions about how to use the forums, or where (or whether) to post something, feel free to ask a host by PM (Personal Messenger).

Thank you so much, Smithy!

On 9/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, Smithy said:

Do you rely much on cookbooks, or have your own repertoire and methods?

Like everyone who's been cooking for a while (30 years in my case), I have a repertoire of standards, but I am very much a recipe follower.  I am not at all a seat-of-the-pants flyer.  Sometimes I wish I was more of an improviser, but that just isn't me. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, catdaddy said:

Welcome to you, @CookBot! I spent decades in coastal Carolinas. eGullet was with me the whole time. I'm sure you will find a home here...no matter how long between visits. How is the fall shrimp season shaping up?

Thank you!

I can't say I ever notice much variance in the shrimpage from year to year (I've been here for 12 now), other than in price, which is holding fairly steady this year @ $12-14/lb.  I have noticed though that most of the local shrimp seems to be coming from Darien, Georgia.   Blue crabs are in this week, which would mean gumbo if the blasted weather would cool down a bit.

• Like 1

Hello, CookBot, and welcome!

I have a question regarding Carolinas-style low country boil. My experience in shrimp boils (with or without other seafood, with sausage, potatoes and corn) is that one uses no oil (other than whatever renders out of the sausage). I got one in Myrtle Beach, and it was positively greasy! Is that just a case of me picking a poor place to dine, or do y’all add some oil/butter/fat of some kind?

Thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, kayb said:

I have a question regarding Carolinas-style low country boil. My experience in shrimp boils (with or without other seafood, with sausage, potatoes and corn) is that one uses no oil (other than whatever renders out of the sausage). I got one in Myrtle Beach, and it was positively greasy! Is that just a case of me picking a poor place to dine, or do y’all add some oil/butter/fat of some kind?

No added fats ever!   I wouldn't be going back to that restaurant.