• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

To add quote from link.

6 hours ago, FlashJack said:

I find that impossible to believe. Maybe if it's got no flavour it lasts a long time because no one wants to eat it but this sounds like rubbish microbiology to me.

Perhaps it is not the presence or absence of salt that accounts for the longer shelf life but good shelf life seems to be a characteristic of DOP Tuscan bread. 

Here.

“As well as being unsalted, Tuscan bread has some characteristics that make it unique: it has the typical aroma of toasted hazelnut, a crumbly and crunchy crust with a golden, opaque hazelnut color, and excellent shelf life.”

Anna N

Anna N

6 hours ago, FlashJack said:

I find that impossible to believe. Maybe if it's got no flavour it lasts a long time because no one wants to eat it but this sounds like rubbish microbiology to me.

Perhaps it is not the presence or absence of salt that accounts for the longer shelf life but good shelf life seems to be a characteristic of DOP Tuscan bread. 

Here.