• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your go-to book for dried beans , and similar ?

rotuts

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

what is your go to ref for:

Beans ( usually dried ) and other 

dried legumes ?

many thanks .

Time Life Dried Beans and Grains.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I can't say it's a 'go to' book particularly, but I do own it: Full of Beans.  Violet Currie & Kay Spicer.  1993.  Sponsored by the Ontario Colour Bean Growers Association.  Published in co-operation with the Canadian Celiac Association. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We have Bean By Bean, mentioned earlier

We also have two oldies but goodies (at least some people think so):

The Brilliant Bean (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) 

The Instant Bean (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

And one newer one: The Better Bean Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) 

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I like the various Rancho Gordo books quite a lot. A couple others that have not be mentioned yet are:

Cool Beans by Joe Yonan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Grist by Abra Berens (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Both of these are fairly new and probably can be found in public libraries.

Edited by BetD (log)

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

• 4 weeks later...

"Bean by Bean" is my go-to.  Those recipes are so reliably delicious that I follow them -- the meatist variation, when offered -- 100% of the time.  

The Time-Life Bean book from the series is the first one I ever looked at, in the kitchen of a vacation rental in Ocean Grove, NJ.  Seriously -- I brought it to the beach with me. 

It was so wonderful that it (along with some subsequent research here) induced me to buy the whole series off of ebay the following week. 

No regrets.  

I've given "Grist" as a gift, and I like the author's voice.  But I haven't cooked from the book.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

The Kindle version of Bold Beans (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently on sale for $1.99 in the US and Canada.

I have the hard copy version of the book, have cooked several recipes and quite like it. The author started a company that sells jarred beans in the UK so most of the recipes call for pre-cooked beans rather than starting from dried but she also gives instructions for using dried beans.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Bold Beans (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is currently on sale for $1.99 in the US and Canada.

I have the hard copy version of the book, have cooked several recipes and quite like it. The author started a company that sells jarred beans in the UK so most of the recipes call for pre-cooked beans rather than starting from dried but she also gives instructions for using dried beans.

Enabler.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou