• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

For many of us due to our location or our physical limitations, have few other choices. Should we then not eat fresh tomatoes in season? The tomatoes in grocery stores here in Southern Ontario are not the ones that were in the grocery stores in your parents’ day.

Another misunderstanding and I'm sorry for that. I mentioned some exceptions exist in groceries. We may have the same selections since Sunset is a Canadian company unless they are sending all their produce to the US. They have greenhouses in Mexico but also in Ontario so they can sell all year. 

Our growing climates are similar as my garden is at altitude in the Catskill mountains. I may actually get a first frost before your area. Out of season, all the winter months, I purchase Kumato, Wild wonders, and Campari tomatoes. 

My parents live in a food desert. Or so I thought. About ten years ago, we passed a couple great farm stands and a CSA a mile from their home. We had been traveling with two big coolers and boxes of fresh produce from NY. On a drive to a few antique stores I stopped by one of their groceries and it was packed just like a WholeFoods. Full line of Bob'sRedMill, etc. Same tomatoes I brought along. Nothing a splash of good vinegar can't fix if they need perking up over the holidays. Their fridge does not reflect what they have available to them. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.10.44 AM.png

Annie_H

Annie_H

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

For many of us due to our location or our physical limitations, have few other choices. Should we then not eat fresh tomatoes in season? The tomatoes in grocery stores here in Southern Ontario are not the ones that were in the grocery stores in your parents’ day.

Another misunderstanding and I'm sorry for that. I mentioned some exceptions exist in groceries. We may have the same selections since Sunset is a Canadian company unless they are sending all their produce to the US. They have greenhouses in Mexico but also in Ontario so they can sell all year. 

Our growing climates are similar as my garden is at altitude in the Catskill mountains. I may actually get a first frost before your area. Out of season, all the winter months, I purchase Kumato, Wild wonders, and Campari tomatoes. 

My parents live in a food desert. Or so I thought. About ten years ago, we passed a couple great farm stands and a CSA a mile from their home. We had been traveling with two big coolers and boxes of fresh produce from NY. On a drive to a few antique stores I stopped by one of their groceries and it was packed just like a WholeFoods. Full line of Bob'sRedMill, etc. Same tomatoes I brought along. Nothing a splash of good vinegar can't fix if they need perking up over the holidays. Their fridge does not reflect what they have available to them. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.10.44 AM.png