• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Annie_H said:

First wrong issue is purchasing from a grocery.

You don't know where I buy my tomatoes! They are not from some corporate megafarm or bred for storage.

In fact I know exactly who grows my tomatoes. Her name is Ma Li Fang and for almost 20 years I watched her tend her plants every day on her small patch of land. She is mainly a subsistance farmer, but grows a few extra tomatoes which she sells from a local farmer's market (with real farmers, unlike most). My office overlooked her land. Still, after my retirement, I buy nearly all my tomatoes from her. Here she is.

tomatorc9.jpg.60302badefded19312ca8c7a47409525.jpg

Like 95% of the world population I do not live in the USA or Canada, so what happens there  has no relevance to my tomato purchasing. Nor do I take everything on Serious Eats seriously.

If it sucks from the fridge, it sucked before that. 

That is simply untrue.

https://www.marthastewart.com/8199810/should-you-refrigerate-tomatoes

liuzhou

liuzhou

First wrong issue is purchasing from a grocery.

You don't know where I buy my tomatoes! They are not from some corporate megafarm or bred for storage.

In fact I know exactly who grows my tomatoes. Her name is Ma Li Fang and for almost 20 years I watched her tend her plants every day on her small patch of land. She is mainly a subsistance farmer, but grows a few extra tomatoes which she sells from a local farmer's market (with real farmers, unlike most). My office over looked her land. Still, after my retirement, I buy nearly all my tomatoes from her. Here she is.

tomatorc9.jpg.60302badefded19312ca8c7a47409525.jpg

Like 95% of the world population I do not live in the USA or Canada, so what happens there  has no relevance to my tomato purchasing. Nor do I take everything on Serious Eats seriously.

If it sucks from the fridge, it sucked before that. 

That is simply untrue.

https://www.marthastewart.com/8199810/should-you-refrigerate-tomatoes