• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Rib Primal

JeffGC

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.mOacU9ygpxmH4iUXMBPBzwHaHa?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

I think this is the most representative image of what I get when I buy a Chuckeye steak.  Although the site refers to it as a Chuckeye Delmonico cut.

As can be seen by the two steaks pictured, there is a pretty wide degree of variation between various individual cuts.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

2 hours ago, IndyRob said:

As can be seen by the two steaks pictured, there is a pretty wide degree of variation between various individual cuts.

Grind that stuff up, and you have some ace burgers!

• Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, JeffGC said:

I had a rather lengthy conversation with someone at American Association of Meat Processors. Nelson suggested “The Meat Buyer’s Guide (North American Meat Institute).”  The restaurant is misrepresenting the product. 

Thanks to everyone for responding. 

Jeff C. 

Misrepresenting the product is a lengthy way to say fraud.

However, a bone-in ribeye from a commodity steer for 1 person is a huge amount of meat. 2-3lbs raw.  What size is the ribeye described as? If the restaurant is buying 109 ribeye's, it is entirely possible that they are cutting in between the bones to get more portions and the bones are from the chine, which run in between the ribs.

For what it is worth, I always remove chine remnants from bone-in ribeye's.  They are an unpleasant choking hazard.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...