• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yakitori grills

gfweb

I've been down that rabbit hole a few times. Last time was March-April 2020. I'd give it a hard no to indoors. Even though true biothane burns cleaner than charcoal, only an industrial hood could handle it. At least that was my research. They are meant for outdoor table dining. Not worth the risk of CO, carbon monoxide poisoning indoors. 

You will see them as cheap as 50$ but you get what you pay for. Reviews are horrid. Disintegrate if left out in the rain. And crack easily. The good quality ones start around 300$ I think. But tiny. The classic size is about 600$ but worth it if that style cooking appeals. 

I had the YAK on my short list and bought the Thaan 'style' bricks before committing. Used them on a grill I already have--a small grill meant to attach to a boat hanging over the side. They do burn long and clean but tricky to light. I use a propane torch and chimney starter. Definitely an outside job for that. 

We found it to be a very social meal. A few hours with friends outside with multiple small bites. But often too cold to sit out for long or too hot to sit in front of a 'hot box' in the summer. 

The YAK is dishwasher safe and a bit more portable. The one on the top right is made in Baltimore. Was backordered at that time but $$$$.

Probably will last 5 lifetimes. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.11.40 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Binchotan can pop, spark, or explode during the heating process, so unless your kitchen is nonflammable and you have a big hood with makeup air, you’ll want to use it outside. Which isn't so bad.

051CBEE7-0D0B-45BA-BAE5-FBD40D039F23.thumb.jpeg.849e9c7c430949ae26cc60699c8d7ddf.jpeg

C35C049F-23F4-4538-98D1-965D60935E05.thumb.jpeg.86589479e8e7d8b0147d9d42edead0ac.jpeg

The classic ceramic konro grills are made of thick, porous clay tiles that retain heat as opposed to radiating it out like a metal one. They’re much more efficient, as most of the heat goes straight up toward the food you’re grilling. Here's a link showing how the clay used for these grills is harvested. It's then shaped, fired, and joined using traditional masonry techniques. That should give you an idea of why this style of grill in particular is more expensive than you might expect. If you read Japanese, here's a link to the manufacturer's website. Not so useful for direct ordering, but maybe to find out more and see what other styles they make.

If you get one, get some spare nets as well as the fan. Extra nets are useful if something sticks or if you leave one out and it rusts or something. And the fan is quite useful for ramping up the temp of the charcoal. And it's useful for the fire pit and campfires as well. Less intense than the leaf blower, though that does a great job as well.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for that^^-- I knew someone here was set up with the proper high end method. 

And the link. Had no idea about the Tribeca store. Shopping stop soon for sure. Nice bowls being not so happy with my recent purchase. 

Like any outdoor grilling method,-- low, medium, and high end is available. Low end all around is such junk to be avoided was my point. 

I've just not skewered a thing in decades. (not exactly true--I do make an appetizer with a scallop surrounded by two shrimp. But that goes on the smoker with a couple toothpicks/small skewers holding them together.) Big surface area with a pork shoulder, two chickens, fresh corn on the far end, slab of salmon on cedar planks with the shrimp/scallops. We all have different needs for a crowd. 

Michael Simon has a good at-home backyard cooking show with two basic Webber grills. Not sure a BigGreenEgg is much of an up-grade. 

--If the chef knows what they are doing. 

A good friend and chef swears by this one or similar. folding grill. BC, (before Covid), two pre-teens, with friends and sleep-overs, prepping  various stick/skewer dogs, burgers on skewers, shrimp, chicken, ...picky kids get choices. Wraps, dog buns, tacos...

And they take it to their two week vacation CapeCod every summer. Beach friendly. High school now, still love it with different food likes and dis-likes. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The classic ceramic konro grills are made of thick, porous clay tiles that retain heat as opposed to radiating it out like a metal one. They’re much more efficient, as most of the heat goes straight up toward the food you’re grilling. Here's a link showing how the clay used for these grills is harvested. It's then shaped, fired, and joined using traditional masonry techniques.

Great setup, man.  I wonder if this is the same (or similar) clay to that used to make a donabe, specifically the ones for roasting/smoking?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks! It's definitely not the same kind of clay, but it might be similar. The Toiro/Iga Mono donabes are from Iga prefecture which is known for its ceramics.  The konros are from Suzu on the Noto peninsula. The clay on the konros has a ruddy color from the iron in the diatomite, but the Iga clay is sort of beige. Both seem to have a lot of inclusions or debris that aerates the clay once it's been fired, and that kind of foamy texture is apparently beneficial. Whether or not it's actually geologically similar is beyond my ability to assess.

A semi-related pro-tip on the smoker/roaster donabes is to invest in an infrared thermometer to use with them. I have a large smoker donabe (which was *not* inexpensive) and it is underused because I haven't quite figured out time/temp combos and the closed lid makes the system sort of a black box.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Thanks! It's definitely not the same kind of clay, but it might be similar. The Toiro/Iga Mono donabes are from Iga prefecture which is known for its ceramics.  The konros are from Suzu on the Noto peninsula. The clay on the konros has a ruddy color from the iron in the diatomite, but the Iga clay is sort of beige. Both seem to have a lot of inclusions or debris that aerates the clay once it's been fired, and that kind of foamy texture is apparently beneficial. Whether or not it's actually geologically similar is beyond my ability to assess.

A semi-related pro-tip on the smoker/roaster donabes is to invest in an infrared thermometer to use with them. I have a large smoker donabe (which was *not* inexpensive) and it is underused because I haven't quite figured out time/temp combos and the closed lid makes the system sort of a black box.

I have a wireless thermometer with two probes that I use with my smoker. One probe goes into the meat, the other through a small potato. The meat probe (that sounds weird) tells me when it's done and the one through the small potato reports the cook temp at grill level. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.