• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beets/Beetroot

lindag

I was surprised when a search didn’t turn up a topic on beets. I love beets! And now my farmers market has them fresh from the garden. Today I’m making Harvard beats and next week when I get more beets I will make a beet salad. I just can’t get enough of them. Do you have any recipes for beets that you love? 

• Like 1

I like a raw beet slaw with young ones in a citrus dressing. I love them roasted . They seem to love nuts - I like hazelnuts, a nut oil, and various vinegars with a sharp green like more mature arugula torn in. Such a list. And then there are the wonderful earthy tops which are often free at framers markets., Silly peeps who discard them ;) A horseradish based sauce or dressing also plays well with them. My emergency veg supply in case I can not get out include canned which are a different animal but in a crisis can be worked with. Oh and "they taste like dirt" - well to me they taste of the earth in a good way.

I like to roast/braise them in foil with some orange juice. Or to roast them first and finish them with reduced juice. Either way, Orange and beet is a winning combination. It works especially well if you're using golden beets. I once did a dish where I used golden beets glazed with reduced OJ that looked like carrots and purple carrots glazed with balsamic that looked like beets. I think that was my favorite thing I've done with them. Always wanted to roast them in coals.

• Like 1

My typical MO is to coat lightly in olive oil, wrap in foil and oven roast.  The peel slides off once done 

Other times I’ve peeled cubed and roasted 

I really like beets.  Prefer to buy them with their greens when available because the greens are so good when cooked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

My typical MO is to coat lightly in olive oil, wrap in foil and oven roast.  The peel slides off once done 

Other times I’ve peeled cubed and roasted 

I really like beets.  Prefer to buy them with their greens when available because the greens are so good when cooked

I grow mine primarily for the greens (Early Wonder is my cultivar of choice, for that reason, it produces greens pretty lavishly) and treat the actual beetroots as a bonus. I do love 'em, though.

If you have a spiralizer, try doing them as skinny spirals and then deep-frying them until crisp. I won't do it often, but enjoy it every time. I generally spiralize them for a slaw, too, just because it's prettier and less messy than shredding (though your spiralizer will be permanently pink as a result).

I'll often dress my beets with pomegranate syrup, either as a glaze while they're cooking or over leftovers that I'm converting to a salad. I like any combination of sweet and bitter greens, nuts (usually walnuts in my case) and a pungent cheese to go with them. Those are all pretty safe choices, but why mess with what works?

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

20 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Salad/starter concept:    sliced beets, shards of smoked trout, creme fraiche with kiss of horseradish.

Another vote for cold beets with creme fraiche. Borsht minus time. I like the idea or serving beets with smoked fish. And I like the idea of adding a dab of horseradish to the creme fraiche. 

• Like 2