• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identify Item from TV show's "break-room", no kidding

rotuts

a show that's come around to me 

recently , has

stunning views , a bit of intrigue , and a Break-Room 

standard stuff , for that sort of place 

then this :

111.thumb.jpg.0fc32cd15fdb11a3733c488190f0ea78.jpg

2222.thumb.jpg.dd36b37d622fd35059d0c150f76327ad.jpg

not a puzzle 

the shoe is this :

Family Law ( 2021 )  a Canadian show , filmed in Vancouver .

what is this thing ?

thanks .

It looks like a freestanding water bottle filling station.   All the offices around here have been doing away with one use cups and encouraging "bring your own" personal water bottle.   The spigot is taller due to water bottle height.

EDIT:  also have seen them at hotels recently.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Almost every home and office in China has one of those. I'm sitting right beside mine (at home) now.

Why?  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, Anna N said:

Why?  

Because, as in most countries, tap water is not potable. People only drink bottled water. If the tap water is boiled it's OK, so can be used for cooking, but purists don't do that either. I don't even brush what teeth I have left with tap water!

Every time I run out,  I call the water guy and he brings me an 18 litre bottle and installs said water in the machine. It isn't mineral water, but purified water.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Because, as in most countries, tap water is not potable.

Thanks. I had no idea that this was the case. Your photographs of the area around where you live fooled me into thinking you have the same municipal services as we do. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I had no idea that this was the case. Your photographs of the area around where you live fooled me into thinking you have the same municipal services as we do. 

I understand, but very few places do have potable water supplies. Many places don't have water! As you know I've lived in a few countries, in most of which you don't want to be drinking tap water.

Otherwise, we generally have the same municipal services here.

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Every time I run out,  I call the water guy and he brings me a 5 litre bottle and installs said water in the machine. It isn't mineral water, but purified water.

How long does five litres generally last?  I think I’d be calling them every day!  For emergency earthquake supplies, we're recommended to stock one gallon per person, per day of purified drinking water. Our machines of that type usually take 5 gallon bottles.

On 8/17/2022 at 9:04 PM, blue_dolphin said:

How long does five litres generally last?  I think I’d be calling them every day!  For emergency earthquake supplies, we're recommended to stock one gallon per person, per day of purified drinking water. Our machines of that type usually take 5 gallon bottles.

Apologies! The water bottles contain 18 litres! Brain fart! Have edited.

How long they last varies. Right now it's in the 30s ℃ and will be for months, so I go through more than in the cooler months .

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I understand, but very few places do have potable water supplies. Many places don't have water! As you know I've lived in a few countries, in most of which you don't want to be drinking tap water.

Otherwise, we generally have the same municipal services here.

Yes. I do know that potable water is a scarce resource in many parts of the world. For some reason I did not think that urban China was one of them. 
Even here many indigenous peoples are still waiting for potable tap water. An inexcusable situation. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, lemniscate said:

It looks like a freestanding water bottle filling station.   All the offices around here have been doing away with one use cups and encouraging "bring your own" personal water bottle.   The spigot is taller due to water bottle height.

EDIT:  also have seen them at hotels recently.

We have a water bottle filling station at work.  It even counts the number of water bottles filled.  Yesterday when I went to fill my little water bottle I saw a patron filling up a gallon container to take home with his books.  I figured his tax dollars paid for the machine.  He may as well get some water out of it.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou