• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this still safe to use? Please advise!

Kim Shook

This is an Oxo salad dressing shaker and when I took it out to use it Sunday, I noticed what looked like a film on the inside of the cup part:

1-IMG_0450.thumb.jpg.51435689db8c0208a507dcf72cf87771.jpg

You can't feel it or wash it off.  I even tried using vinegar.  It won't scratch off either.   I checked at Amazon and another person posted about this there.  No response from Oxo.  Any idea if this is still ok to use?  Thanks!

Do you wash the container in a dishwasher? If so, the detergent might be reacting with the oil/vinegar and is causing the Tritan plastic to etch.

• Thanks 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I recently had to throw away two of my favorite wine glasses because they became etched on the inside where the wine was left in contact. I even tried changing dishwashing detergent as well as using a soak of vinegar and baking soda neither of which worked.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Joe Blowe said:

Do you wash the container in a dishwasher? If so, the detergent might be reacting with the oil/vinegar and is causing the Tritan plastic to etch.

I do.  I never thought about that.  It gets so greasy with the salad oil that it just doesn't feel clean when I hand wash it.  Always top shelf.  Do you think I can continue to use it if it is only etched?

1 minute ago, lindag said:

I recently had to throw away two of my favorite wine glasses because they became etched on the inside where the wine was left in contact. I even tried changing dishwashing detergent as well as using a soak of vinegar and baking soda neither of which worked.

Well, damn.  Did you do it because you thought it unattractive?  Or did you worry that it was somehow unsafe?  Because I don't care what it looks like.  But I don't want to be careless.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I do.  I never thought about that.  It gets so greasy with the salad oil that it just doesn't feel clean when I hand wash it.  Always top shelf.  Do you think I can continue to use it if it is only etched?

Well, damn.  Did you do it because you thought it unattractive?  Or did you worry that it was somehow unsafe?  Because I don't care what it looks like.  But I don't want to be careless.

No I continue to use them for a while, I just finally replace them. You might try the vinegar baking soda method one part each and see if that works for you in this case.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lindag said:

Citric acid. Fill up the dispenser with the powder. It's a trick to clean the dishwasher (told us by our appliance repairman). Every couple of months or so; you'll get to know. Followed by one full wash with no soap.

Years of melted grease are trapped in the drain, etc. Now the inside of our dishwasher looks like a new dishwasher.

An interesting byproduct is that we put those "filmy" wine glasses in at the same time. Filmy stuff is greatly reduced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been using a Miele dishwasher for close to 20 years, and never have had any etching on glassware.

The Miele (and other brands) has a filter at the bottom, which is removable for cleaning...I do that once every 6 months or so.

But I believe the main problem people have with dishwashers is using too much dishwashing detergent (or the wrong brand - stick with the good ones, like Cascade, Finish, Miele's own, etc. Your manual might provide a clue, and with the good brands, less is more.) Too much dishwashing detergent, especially if you rinse your dishes in addition to scraping them, can lead to etching. Filling up the dispenser with dishwashing detergent is too much. I use about a tablespoon per load (I am a rinser, since I generally run my dishwasher evert 2nd or 3rd day), and the dishes come out sparkling clean.

I once did see that same thing that happened on your OXO, @Kim Shook. It actually happened to a Blendtec jar, which I put in the dishwasher after making a lemon/lime sorbet. So yeah, maybe the reaction between whatever was left in the jar and the dishwashing detergent caused it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?