• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life working in a 3 Michelin Star Restaurant

Umar Abraham

When I completed my culinary school, they sent me to do my internship at one of the best restaurant in the world Celler de Can Roca, just imagine working at one of the top restaurant in the world with no prior experience in a professional kitchen, I was shocked and scared at the same time. 

When I got to Girona I was nervous, mainly because I was scared of making a mistake, but also because I am with people who had prior experience in the kitchen, it was quiet intimidating for me, I got to meet a lot of interesting people that I got to work with and surprisingly they all helped me out during my months working there.

During the first months I was working in the production section, it was difficult at first but once you get used it it was easier, after I worked in carnes or the meat section for 2 weeks doing double shift for those 2 weeks which was exhausting, and after finishing the meat section I went to cuatro frio which is the salad section, and I got to say compare to all the other sections this one was more intense, because you have to do a lot of multi tasking and running back and forward from the freezer, cleaning room or the pantry back to the kitchen. I was sometime frustrated and sometimes excited because it was always back and forward between the different plates in the section.

On the final day or the final service I was sad because I have experienced and changed in so many ways that I didn't expect that I would change so many ways, my personality and physique have changed, all my companions and friends in Celler de Can Roca said I came in as a boy and now you came out as a man.

To summarise, working in 3 Michelin Restaurant is intense, a lot of hard work and a lot of patience, sometime you wish you don't want to go to work or want to sometimes cry because of how hard it is, but you have to remember that every day you changed and get better then the previous day, and work is work, it is not a game where you can quiet and start over, you have to force yourself and push yourself past your limit, and their will be people who will help you and make you sure you push yourself past your limit. 

• Like 12

Hola Umar (aqui un Cantabro desde los US).

Please tell us more.

do you met Jordi Roca? I read somewhere that his disease already prevent him to even speak in a normal way.

All the three Roca brothers have a great reputation inside the profession, but also outside it, but I am sure there is nothing like spending all the time there may show a personal and often distinctive opinion.

Also, now, what are your next plans? Still hang around in Spanish restaurants or maybe spend some years overseas?

cheers

Edited by farcego
add a question (log)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, farcego said:

Hola Umar (aqui un Cantabro desde los US).

Please tell us more.

do you met Jordi Roca? I read somewhere that his disease already prevent him to even speak in a normal way.

All the three Roca brothers have a great reputation inside the profession, but also outside it, but I am sure there is nothing like spending all the time there may show a personal and often distinctive opinion.

Also, now, what are your next plans? Still hang around in Spanish restaurants or maybe spend some years overseas?

cheers

Buenas Dia Farcego

It is true that Jordi Roca can't speak normally, but you can still understand what he is saying.

Yes I have met all the Roca brothers and had a conversation with them. I do have some opinions about them but all of them are mostly positive because they have helped me a lot and gave a chance to learn from them and how their restaurant operates .

I have another 3 months internship in another restaurant so I will be sticking around Spain for another year before I go overseas.

Cheers

• Like 3

On 8/16/2022 at 1:48 PM, gfweb said:

You must have more stories to tell....

I currently don't since it is my first restaurant I ever worked in, so maybe in the future I would write more but currently I don't have but maybe I will write about when i study in a culinary school

• Like 2

• 1 year later...