• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks with suggested wine pairings

fabritius

I love cookbooks with suggestions for which wines pair well with the recipes. I'm fairly good at matching wine with food, but I just think it adds another dimension to a cookbook. Also, sometimes I have a specific wine I want to drink and need some recipe inspiration rather than finding the recipe first and then the wine. Most of my favorite cookbooks with wine pairing ideas are Norwegian, but Ripailles by Stéphane Reynaud (originally published in French) is one of my most used English ones, even though the wines are a bit general. Does anyone else have any favorite cookbooks with suggested wine pairings?

Ripailles.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fabritius said:

Most of my favorite cookbooks with wine pairing ideas are Norwegian

This is not a cookbook per se, but once you've decided what you're going to be eating, this book comes in handy...

What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The Zuni Cafe Cookbook is one of my all time favorites and it includes wine pairings for most recipes, generally listing specific bottles that may or may not be available, given that the book was published 20 years ago.  It's a California restaurant and wines from the state are well represented but the selections come from all over. I enjoy looking up the wines and choosing something similar.  

• Like 6

Do many cookbooks offer wine selections? Perhaps more of them than we acknowledge...I just randomly pulled this book (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) off the shelf...

109423018_IMG_7446(1).thumb.jpeg.29e4773c824311a5e828b0c237134652.jpeg

And for each menu, there are fairly detailed wine selections to go along with the recipes.

IMG_7447.thumb.jpeg.628faf5dbf4462bba45b734db922967e.jpeg

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Does not feel like a lot of cookbooks offer wine selection. We had a wave in Norway around the turn of the century, but I don’t see it often any more. Several here that I will definitely check out, much appreciates😊

On 8/12/2022 at 7:59 AM, fabritius said:

I love cookbooks with suggestions for which wines pair well with the recipes. I'm fairly good at matching wine with food, but I just think it adds another dimension to a cookbook. Also, sometimes I have a specific wine I want to drink and need some recipe inspiration rather than finding the recipe first and then the wine. Most of my favorite cookbooks with wine pairing ideas are Norwegian, but Ripailles by Stéphane Reynaud (originally published in French) is one of my most used English ones, even though the wines are a bit general. Does anyone else have any favorite cookbooks with suggested wine pairings?

Ripailles.png

I love this book.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 12:22 PM, Okanagancook said:

A Matter Of Taste by Lucy Waverman is a terrific book that includes lots of information about what to drink with the recipes.

Thank you for making this recommendation. I ordered a used copy which arrived today. I've only flipped through so far but I can tell I’ll enjoy it. I love seasonally oriented books and menu books so two points there and there’s a wealth of wine info that goes well beyond the well reasoned suggestions. Thanks!

• Like 1