• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airbrush

1ciagirl

although I have certainly used colored cocoa butters with my chocolate bonbon molds, but I am new to using an airbrush. What is the minimum psi that I need for successful results and ease of application?  I want to recommend a specific brand of compressor and or airbrush. All advice appreciate!

There are some existing discussions, just search 'airbrush' or 'airbrushing'.  The best airbrush and compressor for you will depend on your production volume, budget, and location.

As the airbrush nozzle size increases, so do the cubic feet per minute of air required to blow paint through.  A smaller nozzle and compressor should be cheaper and quieter but also much slower.  On the larger end you use a lot more CB, have more 'over-spray' and may need to work under an exhaust hood.  A 0.6-0.8mm nozzle should be good for hobbyist up to small scale production. 

I use a Grex Tritium gravity feed 0.7mm airbrush & California Air Tools 1 hp, 2 gallon compressor for artisan scale production, usually not more than 20 molds a day. 

• Like 1