• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing already cooked food

Susanwusan

I want to make and freeze macaroni cheese.  What is the best way, or recipe if you have one, to prevent the macaroni absorbing all the sauce during cooling, freezing and baking.  My plan is to cook the pasta, cook the sauce and mix them together, then when needed, put the container in the oven to bake (and thaw).

• Like 1

It’ll either be fine…or suck. I mean, frozen lasagna is a thing, no? So I imagine if you do this properly, your finished, baked product will be okay.

What’s proper, you ask?  With properly undercooked pasta, and properly cooked sauce, you should be fine.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm not worried about safety , but perhaps the sauce will break.

A fully cooked mac  and cheese should be fully hydrated, ie no more water can be absorbed.

I think.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

According to the Washington Post 

Here, There is no need for any special changes to the normal preparation. I apologize if it is behind a pay wall but here is an excerpt.  

“Macaroni and cheese freezes very well. I ought to know; I worked on a big mac and cheese project last year and was eating the research materials for months afterwards. You don’t need to do anything special when preparing whichever recipe you choose; just make sure that when you cook your pasta, you keep it al dente. That will help stave off the mushiness you’re concerned about. Another thing: I haven’t really noticed this, but some cooks believe that the cooked pasta absorbs too much of the sauce over time and makes the dish dry. The antidote is to cut back slightly on the amount of pasta, to increase the ratio of cheese to mac. If you find that your defrosted portions are too dry, try that technique.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ed makes large batches of macaroni and cheese sauce and then I freeze it in suitable meal portions.  He's never paid any attention to the niceties of undercooking the pasta or much of anything else, and it's always been perfectly good.  But maybe then we aren't connoisseurs where macaroni and cheese are concerned.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I do this all the time. I do use sodium citrate and evaporated milk, both which prevent the sauce from breaking. Also make sure that the pasta is just al dente and as mentioned above, make it "soupier" than I would if serving immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Modernist cuisine Mac and cheese freezes and thaws repeatedly without any issues. Béchamel Mac and cheese I’ve found can split, but I blend a little gum in (xanthan) and it’s fine as well. Sour cream with xanthan freezes fine but needs a really small amount and you need to blend using a blender, I’ve used a few different gums for freezing and all are usually fine. Ultratex 4 is my go to these days for anything I want glossy and easily mixed in. 

you’d be surprised at how well a lot of foods handle being frozen after being cooked and with sauces if there is a worry I put ultratex in and no issues. 

only exceptions have been really delicate items you can’t wrap well so if you put it in a container expect it to develop freezer burn pretty quick. Anything you can either vacuum pack or cover the surface of using cling film will freeze fine after it’s cooked.