• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Should you find yourself driving through the Fraser Canyon...

MaryIsobel

(Which is Highway one from the Fraser Valley to the Okanagan or the Cariboo in B.C.) Two stops recommended; Big H's Fish and Chips, just as you approach the town of Clinton. Only open Friday to Sunday. Basically a food truck in an RV site but we make a point of going there whenever we are in the vicinity. "Big H" used to be a halibut fisherman but retired from that, bought an RV campsite and set up to supply the best fish and chips we've had. Further on, just at the far end of 70 Mile, the Sugar Shack. Authentic Montreal Smoked Meat, poutine, smoked meat sandwiches, beaver tails and many maple products. The owner is a French Canadian character with quick wit and an amazing way with smoked meat. The picture is my husband's half portion of poutine with smoked meat. The poutine is made with house made french fries, authentic curd and peppercorn gravy. Insanely good.

C74C4446-29AC-4218-8765-C75513D703BE.jpeg

IMG_7519.jpeg

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 11

33 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Two stops recommended; Big H's Fish and Chips, just as you approach the town of Clinton. Only open Friday to Sunday. Basically a food truck in an RV site but we make a point of going there whenever we are in the vicinity. "Big H" used to be a halibut fisherman but retired from that, bought an RV campsite and set up to supply the best fish and chips we've had. Further on, just at the far end of 70 Mile, the Sugar Shack. Authentic Montreal Smoked Meat, poutine, smoked meat sandwiches, beaver tails and many maple products. The owner is a French Canadian character with quick wit and an amazing way with smoked meat. The picture is my husband's half portion of poutine with smoked meat. The poutine is made with house made french fries, authentic curd and peppercorn gravy. Insanely good.

Aw, sounds like a couple of fun places and looks delicious, also. Almost wish we had a road trip in mind, but not on the agenda right now. Hope you are having fun and let us know where else you end up dining!  🙂

We are home now but will be heading up Ashcroft way in September so will definitely plan to stop at Herbie's in Cache Creek. It has been around since 1957 and is another must stop place in the canyon. https://www.hungryherbies.com/menu

I remember going there a few times as a kid, long before the days of the Coquihalla Highway.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Aw, sounds like a couple of fun places and looks delicious, also. Almost wish we had a road trip in mind, but not on the agenda right now. Hope you are having fun and let us know where else you end up dining!  🙂

Will be heading to the Island, Qualicum in particular - would love to hear any suggestion you may have between Nanaimo and Qualicum.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Willbe heading to the Island, Qualicum in particular - would love to hear any suggestion you may have between Nanaimo and Qualicum.

We haven't been eating out the way we used to, but we hear a lot about two places in particular in Qualicum. One is Q Burger, which was called one of the Top 5 burger places in Canada by Canadian Living and has been super busy since. Plan ahead if you want to try it out. We were going to go there a couple of times but ended up going somewhere quieter. 

https://viqburger.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral#menu

The other is in Coombs, which is a short drive away. I love Coombs, it's a quirky little community but it's become a huge tourist draw (see the goats on the roof, the General Store, etc) and it can be busy in a very annoying way. However, one restaurant keeps getting really good reviews and that's Cuckoo Trattoria. And I admit to loving the goats. 🙂

https://cuckooincoombs.com/

To enjoy Qualicum Beach, you'll likely be driving along Hwy 19A and following the ocean route. There are a few places that have such lovely views/locations that they might be worth the risk of less than stellar food. For example, Shady Rest was getting a bit long in the tooth, but they have been doing some renos and it's a great location on the beach. We have eaten there half a dozen times and it was always ok, sometimes quite good but maybe not spectacular. Again, we haven't been there recently so it may be consistently better now, it gets good online reviews. 

https://shadyrest.ca/

There's also an adorable little spot right on the beach and I can't remember or find the name, but you'll notice it with it's umbrellas and location. We've had some decent fish and chips there. Maybe it's Shore Restaurant? https://www.eatatshore.com/

You can find various restaurants in town and at the golf courses, but at this time of year, I'd want to be on the ocean or going somewhere fun. 

Around Nanaimo, same thing. Lots of choices for good food, but if you want quirky, ocean experience then maybe consider something like Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island or a trip to Newcastle Island via short ferry rides. 

https://www.dinghydockpub.com/

https://newcastleisland.ca/saysutshun-concession

Edited to add: Not sure if this is your style, but if you let me know more, I can ask friends who live in those communities. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

We haven't been eating out the way we used to, but we hear a lot about two places in particular in Qualicum. One is Q Burger, which was called one of the Top 5 burger places in Canada by Canadian Living and has been super busy since. Plan ahead if you want to try it out. We were going to go there a couple of times but ended up going somewhere quieter. 

https://viqburger.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral#menu

The other is in Coombs, which is a short drive away. I love Coombs, it's a quirky little community but it's become a huge tourist draw (see the goats on the roof, the General Store, etc) and it can be busy in a very annoying way. However, one restaurant keeps getting really good reviews and that's Cuckoo Trattoria. And I admit to loving the goats. 🙂

https://cuckooincoombs.com/

To enjoy Qualicum Beach, you'll likely be driving along Hwy 19A and following the ocean route. There are a few places that have such lovely views/locations that they might be worth the risk of less than stellar food. For example, Shady Rest was getting a bit long in the tooth, but they have been doing some renos and it's a great location on the beach. We have eaten there half a dozen times and it was always ok, sometimes quite good but maybe not spectacular. Again, we haven't been there recently so it may be consistently better now, it gets good online reviews. 

https://shadyrest.ca/

There's also an adorable little spot right on the beach and I can't remember or find the name, but you'll notice it with it's umbrellas and location. We've had some decent fish and chips there. Maybe it's Shore Restaurant? https://www.eatatshore.com/

You can find various restaurants in town and at the golf courses, but at this time of year, I'd want to be on the ocean or going somewhere fun. 

Around Nanaimo, same thing. Lots of choices for good food, but if you want quirky, ocean experience then maybe consider something like Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island or a trip to Newcastle Island via short ferry rides. 

https://www.dinghydockpub.com/

https://newcastleisland.ca/saysutshun-concession

Edited to add: Not sure if this is your style, but if you let me know more, I can ask friends who live in those communities. 

Thanks - have been goiong to Qualicum for about 45 years. Cut my beer teeth at the Shady Rest! Years ago, there was a great place, right on the water in Nanaimo that served buckets of clams and/or mussels. I haven't found it by googling and haven't been there for a couple of decades so it may be no longer. I will check out the Shore restaurant for sure. And touristy or not, I love Coombs! We are staying in a place right on the water that has a kitchen, so the plan for one night is to go to Coombs and gather ingredients for dinner. With a few Fanny Bay oysters on the side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks - have been goiong to Qualicum for about 45 years. Cut my beer teeth at the Shady Rest! Years ago, there was a great place, right on the water in Nanaimo that served buckets of clams and/or mussels. I haven't found it by googling and haven't been there for a couple of decades so it may be no longer. I will check out the Shore restaurant for sure. And touristy or not, I love Coombs! We are staying in a place right on the water that has a kitchen, so the plan for one night is to go to Coombs and gather ingredients for dinner. With a few Fanny Bay oysters on the side.

Oh, you are old hands at this region! Ha, not sure I helped much, you could probably give me advice! 🙂

There's also FBI (Fanny Bay Inn). It's changed hands a couple of times recently but it's still adorable. 

Kingfisher Resort, if you want to venture a bit further north, is also good. 

I love Coombs also, but we try to go there on quieter days. Hard to come by those in the summertime though! 

17 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Oh, you are old hands at this region! Ha, not sure I helped much, you could probably give me advice! 🙂

There's also FBI (Fanny Bay Inn). It's changed hands a couple of times recently but it's still adorable. 

Kingfisher Resort, if you want to venture a bit further north, is also good. 

I love Coombs also, but we try to go there on quieter days. Hard to come by those in the summertime though! 

Your recommendations are much appreciated and I just told my sisters that we will be dining at the Cuckoo one night for sure. I wasn't aware of it. I haven't been to the Island since 2019 thanks to Covid. I know that the Coombs market is crazy but we are all early risers so plan to be there for the opening bell on our foraging for dinner day. We have booked at the Kingfisher for the hydropath and lunch on our last day.

• Like 1

Also going to try to go to Q Burger but admittedly I am not one to stand in line for anything. Thinking we might try mid afternoon for a late lunch/early dinner.One of my sister's must-go-to places is Atlas Cafe in Courtenay for Eggs Benny. Apparently they were featured on You Gotta Eat Here (as was Q Burger) so it may be busier than the last time we were there about 5 years ago. https://www.atlascafe.ca/breakfast

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Also going to try to go to Q Burger but admittedly I am not one to stand in line for anything. Thinking we might try mid afternoon for a late lunch/early dinner.One of my sister's must-go-to places is Atlas Cafe in Courtenay for Eggs Benny. Apparently they were featured on You Gotta Eat Here (as was Q Burger) so it may be busier than the last time we were there about 5 years ago. https://www.atlascafe.ca/breakfast

Atlas tends to be consistently good, but definitely busy at times. We used to like Mike's Off Main for Eggs Benny as much or more, but the ownership has changed, it's just called Off Main now and they are only open Thurs to Mon from 9am to 2pm, but even those hours don't seem to be consistent. If you need to check something else out for Eggs Benny, the Hen & Hog Cafe has become hugely popular so it can also be busy but the couple of times we went there, we were very pleased with our food. 

Just spoke to a friend in Qualicum and she says definitely go to Cuckoo in Coombs. She also recommends Qualicum Beach Cafe, which has new ownership (they have a sister restaurant in Gastown) and is getting very good reviews. She says another good choice is Black Bird Schnitzel Haus. Or for something a bit quirkier, the Final Approach at the airport is fun and good. 

If you happen to head over to Comox, BlackFin Pub is nice - decent food and lovely views of the harbour and marina (especially when the tide is in). They have a few new menu items which we haven't tried but I used to really like sampling from their Starters menu and my husband loved their Seafood Chowder. 

Couple of new places in Comox are Church St Taphouse (decent patio) and The Curry Cottage Tap & Grill. I really want to check out the latter, but wonder if they have their beer available yet. They are brand new and still trying to get fully staffed, bit of an odd little place. 

People often recommend Locals Restaurant at the Old House Hotel and their approach to food is really good, but we have been there a few times and had mixed feelings. When it was good, it was really quite good but when it wasn't that great, it seemed like a lot to pay for mediocre. Still, some people love it. 

Also, 40 Knots Winery is nice and they sell picnic items to go with their wine. It's a pretty spot and they used to have a pizza oven, not sure if they are still doing that. And Beaufort Wines is also a nice place for tasting and/or picnics. 

Finally, and I'm sure you don't need to be told this, but some of these places are struggling with staffing and regular hours and the current heat wave has caused some of them to reduce hours further or temporarily close, so good to check with places before you go!  🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Atlas tends to be consistently good, but definitely busy at times. We used to like Mike's Off Main for Eggs Benny as much or more, but the ownership has changed, it's just called Off Main now and they are only open Thurs to Mon from 9am to 2pm, but even those hours don't seem to be consistent. If you need to check something else out for Eggs Benny, the Hen & Hog Cafe has become hugely popular so it can also be busy but the couple of times we went there, we were very pleased with our food. 

Just spoke to a friend in Qualicum and she says definitely go to Cuckoo in Coombs. She also recommends Qualicum Beach Cafe, which has new ownership (they have a sister restaurant in Gastown) and is getting very good reviews. She says another good choice is Black Bird Schnitzel Haus. Or for something a bit quirkier, the Final Approach at the airport is fun and good. 

If you happen to head over to Comox, BlackFin Pub is nice - decent food and lovely views of the harbour and marina (especially when the tide is in). They have a few new menu items which we haven't tried but I used to really like sampling from their Starters menu and my husband loved their Seafood Chowder. 

Couple of new places in Comox are Church St Taphouse (decent patio) and The Curry Cottage Tap & Grill. I really want to check out the latter, but wonder if they have their beer available yet. They are brand new and still trying to get fully staffed, bit of an odd little place. 

People often recommend Locals Restaurant at the Old House Hotel and their approach to food is really good, but we have been there a few times and had mixed feelings. When it was good, it was really quite good but when it wasn't that great, it seemed like a lot to pay for mediocre. Still, some people love it. 

Also, 40 Knots Winery is nice and they sell picnic items to go with their wine. It's a pretty spot and they used to have a pizza oven, not sure if they are still doing that. And Beaufort Wines is also a nice place for tasting and/or picnics. 

Finally, and I'm sure you don't need to be told this, but some of these places are struggling with staffing and regular hours and the current heat wave has caused some of them to reduce hours further or temporarily close, so good to check with places before you go!  🙂

I have read great things about Hen and Hog, but my sis is set on Atlas (she is very unadventurous when it comes to food and likes to go with what she knows, but she was all over the Cuckoo so that's good.) We let everyone pick a restaurant or two or three on our sister's getaways but ever since she suggested the Spaghetti Factory in Kelowna, my other sister and I have gently told her that we will pick restaurants for her to choose from! Thanks for the rec for the Black Fin, as one of our afternoons we will be taking our 90 year old aunt (whom you would think is 75) out for lunch. She lives in Courtenay, so that might be a good option. I hear you on the understaffing and the current heat wave. We are going the 3rd week in August so hopefully it won't be as hot as it currently is. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions, lots of places I haven't heard of.

• Like 1

Oh, can't forget a couple of options in Cumberland, @MaryIsobel. We really like quirky little Village of Cumberland. Riders Pizza and their sister restaurant across the street, Cumberland Brewing. They share a garden right next next to Rider's, so you know your greens are fresh! 

Here's a photo I took recently of their garden. I just love it! 

PXL_20220717_230007103-EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.be64a074b75dcfe8f9c904f27b270771.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Oh, can't forget a couple of options in Cumberland, @MaryIsobel. We really like quirky little Village of Cumberland. Riders Pizza and their sister restaurant across the street, Cumberland Brewing. They share a garden right next next to Rider's, so you know your greens are fresh! 

Here's a photo I took recently of their garden. I just love it! 

PXL_20220717_230007103-EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.be64a074b75dcfe8f9c904f27b270771.jpg

That looks wonderful and cousins whom we will be visiting live in Cumberland, on Cumberland Road in fact. What a lovely garden. Will definitely check these out. Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boo, I just missed this thread and got back from Nanoose Bay a few days ago! 

Amrikko's in Parksville has excellent Indian food. Aloo gobi and lamb pasanda are delicious. Good for take out too. http://amrikkos.ca/

Right next door to Amrikko's is Papa's Burgers. We tried it for the first time. Tasty burgers & poutine. They only have a few outdoor picnic tables.  https://papasburgers.ca/

Rusty Rake Brewing just opened about a month ago. Just off Island Hwy E, at NW Bay Rd. The food is decent, if a bit pricey. Beers are well-priced & excellent, especially the coffee stout. https://rustedrakebrewing.ca/

Katerina's Taverna - Greek food in Lantzville. Very good, a bit pricey, but generous portions. Roast lamb was delicious. http://www.katerinastaverna.ca/contact-us

• Like 2