• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Protecting solid wood (walnut) from spills etc

CanadianHomeChef

So I purchased a counter height table to replace my current dining room table. The table matches the depth of my island perfectly, and the plan is to butt the table up against my island to extend prep space when cooking and convert to dining space once all the prep is done. I've already done this with my current table and it functions great; just the current table is too deep and makes for a tight squeeze to pass by on one of the corners.

The table is a bit pricey, but I splurged on it as it's a perfect fit for the space.

It's solid wood. If I know anything about my experience with cutting boards, wood and moisture don't react well to each other without treatment. 

Just wondering what the best way to treat a walnut table would be? Don't mind having to repeat the treatment like I do with oiling up my cutting board. 

I know as much as I try not to, I will likely leave messes on the table overnight. Hopefully clean up anything containing moisture ASAP though. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

I'd be surprised if dining furniture was raw wood rather than some combo of stained, sealed, or varnished, so however it's been treated will determine maintenance.

Get a waterproof tablecloth and some trivets to protect it during your prep sessions.

This is a quote:

Polyurethane wood finish offers durability and water resistance. This makes it a popular alternative to more traditional coatings such as shellac or lacquer. Learning how to apply polyurethane to stained wood can enhance the appearance of the stain while protecting the surface from scratches and more.

Minwax is a popular brand.

p

• Like 1

Thanks,

I'm pretty good at keeping hot things off counters with trivets and wire racks, so not too concerned about heat. It's mostly moisture.

I'll assess the finishing of the table when it arrives and see if I think it'll need some Polyurethane. 

Don't really want to put a table cloth on it. I'm not a fan of them; covers up the beauty of the wood.  I'm seeing they have some clear ones but they seem to bunch up no matter how much you try.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Think about a clear epoxy coating like they use in the river tables... that stuff is near indestructible and can showcase the wood... I'd imagine the woodworker you're getting it from would be familiar with the idea and could show you how that looks and give you a tour of its properties... You probably don't want to leave the wood unfinished.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Not working directly with a wood worker; something off the shelf but solid wood nonetheless.  @pastrygirlmakes a good point about it being unlikely to be unfinished since it's a dining table. I've ordered it online though and can't assess the finish; the website also doesn't list anything. I just realized though that they have a live chat, so I 'll see if they can tell me anything.

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

12 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

I just realized though that they have a live chat, so I 'll see if they can tell me anything.

"Live Chat" is usually just talking to a computer with a database of pre-programmed responses - my experience at any rate

p

29 minutes ago, palo said:

"Live Chat" is usually just talking to a computer with a database of pre-programmed responses - my experience at any rate

p

I have had good experience with of all places the DMV. Worth a try.

15 minutes ago, palo said:

I see you're a Breville fan as well - how's that "a little bit more" work for you?

p

Got it for free with Airmiles :)

It makes a good piece of toast. My big complaint though is the orientation of the buttons. It takes up a lot of counterspace when you have to have it oriented that way. If you could align the long part of the toast with the counter, it would take up much less space. I actually didn't really have a spot for it because of this until I rearranged the kitchen with more wire shelving.

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor