• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Chili Crisp or Chili Crunch

TdeV

Search finds many mentions of "chili crisp" but they all seem to be a purchased version.

Does anyone make their own? And could you provide a recipe, please.

Just to make matters more complex, I want to make a very mild version. So I'm particularly interested in technique.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest checking out the recipe for home made hot chili pepper sauce from esteemed member @hzrt8w who shared so much with the group. 

It's the best sub I've found for Yank Sing Chili Pepper Sauce, which I love but is no longer available, outside of their restaurants, apparently due to a family feud of some sort. 

• Like 2

Good timing reminded to order more sesame seed this morning. (3 pounds)

Looking at my photo file I made a triple batch of chili crisp June 10th. Used the last of it for a salmon miso glaze last night, then a salad dressing adding rice wine vinegar and greek yogurt. A 1/4 cup left I just added to a slaw this morning. 

My chili crisp is not spicy. Mild on the scale. It is a base recipe to be adjusted and added to in various recipes. 

Never do I add salt/sugars in any of my spice mixes. I can do that later depending. 

I made a few spice mixes this past weekend. Furakaki, a mushroom 'umami bomb', and a mixed seed/nut grind. No sesame seed so I'll have to wait for delivery for a batch of chili crisp. Bummer. A pantry bag I thought was sesame seed turned out to be polenta. 

Highly recommend this recipe...Long but worth the information for a first go at it---CHILI OIL/CRISP

Dozens of recipes on-line but basics can be made as 'no-recipe' recipes. Make a simple base recipe, then adjust to make it how you like it. 

Mine is basic. Not at all spicy. If you have an Hmart or similar international market, many choices, often dozens of varieties of chili flake. Small print will list the heat level. The amazon one in my pic is mild. 

I suggest making a small batch, maybe half my recipe, then decide what you like or do not like about it. 

Like I mentioned, I add to the recipe later....fresh garlic, chives, etc. 

Recipes that use fresh roasted garlic can be a bit dangerous if a batch is found way back in your fridge months later. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 8.23.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 9.43.19 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, a couple things I should add to this. I use avocado oil. High heat friendly and does not suffer color as mentioned in the post I linked. 

I add my dry mix, though a bit wet with the soy sauce, into the hot oil on the stovetop. Turn off the gas burner first or slide it onto a cold burner for a electric coil. 

99% of on-line recipes have you pouring hot oil into a bowl on the dry/damp spices. Not necessary and dangerous. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thermal shock happens. I cracked a cast iron favorite dutch oven lid I've had for 20+ years.

Pouring hot oil into a glass bowl on your counter is not so smart. I do wear solid topped crocks in my kitchen. Never barefoot.

Trained chefs have many stories to tell. 

Add your dry mix to the hot oil on your stovetop. Not hot oil to you dry mix off the stove. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sohla El-Waylly has a recipe for this on the Serious Eats website, https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-spicy-chili-crisp.

I've made it a couple times. The heat is supplied by the chiles so pick what you want there. I love this stuff...it's an umami bomb that goes well with practically everything.

Edit for spelling

Edited by catdaddy (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, catdaddy said:

Sohla El-Waylly has a recipe for this on the Serious Eats website, https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-spicy-chili-crisp.

I've made it a couple times. The heat is supplied by the chiles so pick what you want there. I love this stuff...it's an umami bomb that goes well with practically everything.

I second this recipe - it's the base that I use. The heat will all depend on your chiles. I do a combo that includes mild New Mexico reds so as to not blow out my guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sohla knows her way around a kitchen. I'm just not convinced about the moisture being completely eliminated in the frying of the garlic. Also way too much of a project in the process. Labor intensive. I always have fresh garlic and shallots. I prefer to make garlic chips and fried shallots fresh. 

Korean chili flake is already ground and properly sourced are mild. I did add a couple dried Thai hots to my last batch. Sesame seeds are not expensive and add lots of crunch. 

The FDA, UCDavis, UofIdaho, etc., all warn about garlic in oil. It needs to be commercially acidified for safety. Properly dried. UCDavis on garlic. All say four days max in fridge. Sohla does fry to a roasted color but so many other recipes are adding it golden or near raw. She loves heat. Our OP is looking for mild. Why I consider chili crisp one of the 'no recipe' recipes. Need to find a combination that the family likes. (or restaurant patrons). 

I opened the jar of FlyByJing last night. Hard pass. The 'crips' at the bottom are excellent. More than 1/3rd of the jar is oil. Not oils I would use. The oils have barely a whisper of flavor. At that price point $$$, not worth it. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 10.01.34 AM.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like I mentioned previously, having a good crisp base, I can toast/pan fry garlic/shallots in some of the seasoned oil as needed. 

*even better is a tBsp in a mortal/pestle with 3-4 fresh garlic cloves for RG bean. Tonight, black beans. 

IMG_3906.jpeg

• Like 5

On 7/27/2022 at 7:06 AM, gfron1 said:

I second this recipe - it's the base that I use. The heat will all depend on your chiles. I do a combo that includes mild New Mexico reds so as to not blow out my guests.

Third for Sohla, I make variations but this is worth the time and effort. I make mine somewhat hot and spicy also a little numbing but go a little heavy on other stuff (spices) it’s super good!

• Like 1