• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer potlucks (reunions, etc.)...

Martin Fisher

38 minutes ago, Martin Fisher said:

I have two of the Rubbermaid deviled egg trays w/ lids.

egg.png

My mom had the Tupperware equivalent, X2.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My mom had the Tupperware equivalent, X2.

Yeah, Mom had Tupperware ones years ago.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The three most popular potluck items around here are usually, mac & cheese, baked beans, and deviled eggs.

• Like 3

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Martin Fisher said:

The three most popular potluck items around here are usually, mac & cheese, baked beans, and deviled eggs.

Mac and cheese is a problem.  Many aren't very good esp when cooled-off.

• Like 2

Mac and cheese is #1 with a bullet around here.   But I have 3 young kids so most events have a large youth population.   

I’ve had a ton of uninspiring mac and cheese.   It’s a waste of calories, but otherwise ok.   I love deviled eggs, but I’ve been given some at pot lucks I’ve thought about spitting out.   Or later regretted I didn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

cocktail meatballs

I was looking for unique recipes the other day.

One was ham balls in pineapple preserves.

Apricot sounds good!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martin Fisher said:

I have two of the Rubbermaid deviled egg trays w/ lids.

egg.png

So re the eggs cut around the equator versus lengthwise?  Different to me

1 minute ago, heidih said:

So re the eggs cut around the equator versus lengthwise?  Different to me

I cut them lenghwise.

I like the extra room for piping on "filling."

• Like 1

cocktail meatballs - never any leftovers.

Cocktail meatballs = good idea

Meatball cocktails = great idea

I’m thinking Bloody Mary w vodka in a martini glass and two small meatballs on a swizzle.

I’ll just see myself out now

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

i believe that current thought is that commercial mayonnaise actually prevents food from spoiling due to acid and preservatives.    Everything within limits of course.

I have heard the same thing, but you are right, I wouldn't leave a plate of devilled eggs out in the sun for hours. I make good use of the bags from "wine in a box." Once empty, refill with water and freeze flat and set your plate on top.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Genius move - no ;leaking.  

21 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have heard the same thing, but you are right, I wouldn't leave a plate of devilled eggs out in the sun for hours. I make good use of the bags from "wine in a box." Once empty, refill with water and freeze flat and set your plate on top.

Genius move. Will pass it on. Plus with the twisty thing - no leaking!  Might be somethi.ng to  put under a pillow or pet bed for those in the horrid heat! 

• Like 2

It's because you live in California 😁!  Seriously, though - I've never seen a southern bride that didn't get at least one deviled egg plate for a shower or wedding gift.  And when I was a bridal consultant, I saw more than one bride change her silver pattern because the one she originally picked didn't come with ice tea spoons.  I'm guessing that was a regional thing, too!  

I have deviled egg platters.  One is that ceramic Easter bunny one that Grammy made in her ceramics class, one is a standard round cut glass type and one is plastic with a lid for traveling.  Also, have iced tea spoons.

Just wanted you to know I'm a proper southern 😬

I'll also do a vote for the deviled eggs.

My niece brought this to a family gathering and it was gone in a flash --Dorito Taco Salad .  I know, I know.  It's prolly a little trashy 😁but I could have eaten the whole bowl.

Same niece also did this --Better Than Sex dessert  not quite like the name says, but pretty darn close lol.

Someone up thread mentioned homemade bread.  That's what Ronnie's family always asks me to bring.  I bring two loaves and if there are leftovers, people grab and take it home.

Right now I'd probably do a big bowl of cucumbers and onions sliced up with the usual cider vinegar/water/salt/pepper/sugar mix.  Made a few days before so it can marinate.

I'm always a sucker for that 7-layer Mexican dip--refried beans, taco meat, guacamole, sour cream, salsa etc.

Muffuletta sandwiches cut up in wedges keep well.  OR this Muffuletta Cheesecake is awesome.  I've done this using the IP.  I sliced up some French bread and toasted it.  Need to bring a knife to spread the dip on with.

In line with your brownies, but a Texas Sheet cake always goes down well around here.  Made one for a gathering early this spring and there were no leftovers I'm told.  Also just a good old fashioned sour cherry pie.  Use store bought refrigerated crust.  Makes it easier :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I make good use of the bags from "wine in a box." Once empty, refill with water and freeze flat and set your plate on top.

I do something similar with frozen wet (NEW) kitchen sponges (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) vacuum packed in a flat configuration.   These work great under dishes and in coolers, lighter than ice packs.   Very reusable.

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Texas Sheet cake always goes down well around here.

YES, and double YES!  TSC is always a big hit, especially the one with the chocolate fudge and pecan icing.

Pasta salad made with cheese tortellini always is a go-er here.

Also, caprese salad with cherry tomatoes and marinated mozz balls tossed with balsamic and basil.

For fruit, I've been doing a compressed watermelon cube and feta toss that gets attention and gets asked for again.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

For fruit, I've been doing a compressed watermelon cube and feta toss that gets attention and gets asked for again.

Do you have a photo for this? And a recipe?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TdeV said:

Do you have a photo for this? And a recipe?

Sorry, no photos.

Recipe?   Kinda.   Cubed watermelon, maybe 1"x1", but I don't care too much about the exact shape.  I use a basketball sized seedless watermelon because it's easy to handle.   Place the pieces in a single layer in a vacuum bag(s) and pull a vacuum seal cycle on them.  I've done this with a Foodsaver, but now a use a vacuum chamber.  The pieces with shrink a bit, and turn a deep red, like salmon sashimi color.   You can add balsamic, or lime juice, mint or salad dressing into the bag before the vacuum pull and it will infuse into the watermelon.   Open the bag, drain the pieces.  Keep the juice as cook's treat or maybe use as a dressing(?)

I toss the pieces with a goodly amount of feta crumbles and black pepper.  I don't use a dressing, just let the sweet and salty mingle as is.   

I've sometimes sprinkle shredded fresh mint over it if I have some.   I've done cilantro over it, but at potlucks there are too many cilantro haters to risk it anymore.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well...if we're going to talk desserts, there are the Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars. You can come up with a lot of variations on these, as well as variations on the name (7-layer bars, for example). The recipe I use has slightly different proportions, because it includes both butterscotch chips and chocolate chips, but they were always a big hit when I took them to potlucks. I'm pleased to send "my" recipe (given to me by a friend) to anyone who asks, but can't see my way clear to posting it since it isn't mine and is close to a copyrighted recipe.

I too think the use of the spent wine bag as an ice bag is an outstanding idea!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Well...if we're going to talk desserts, there are the Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars. You can come up with a lot of variations on these, as well as variations on the name (7-layer bars, for example). The recipe I use has slightly different proportions, because it includes both butterscotch chips and chocolate chips, but they were always a big hit when I took them to potlucks. I'm pleased to send "my" recipe (given to me by a friend) to anyone who asks, but can't see my way clear to posting it since it isn't mine and is close to a copyrighted recipe.

I too think the use of the spent wine bag as an ice bag is an outstanding idea!

We call those Hello Dolly squares - no idea why but I agree - they are very popular.

• Like 2

Just now, MaryIsobel said:

We call those Hello Dolly squares - no idea why but I agree - they are very popular.

Thanks for that name. I knew I'd read another, and I couldn't remember what it was!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Well...if we're going to talk desserts, there are the Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars. You can come up with a lot of variations on these, as well as variations on the name (7-layer bars, for example). The recipe I use has slightly different proportions, because it includes both butterscotch chips and chocolate chips, but they were always a big hit when I took them to potlucks

I recently found my first recipe box, including a card with the recipe for 7-layer bars written in my grade 7 writing:

2B57A389-D26B-42CD-90A0-9F44EBF35357.thumb.jpeg.db11dc95044e3ef2e53246f2322cf539.jpeg

Haven’t seen “flacked” coconut in a while 🤭

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

My niece brought this to a family gathering and it was gone in a flash --Dorito Taco Salad .  I know, I know.  It's prolly a little trashy 😁but I could have eaten the whole bowl.

Same niece also did this --Better Than Sex dessert  not quite like the name says, but pretty darn close lol.

What’s your niece doing Saturday night?

• Haha 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Chess Cake?

I haven't had it, but it always seems to get rave reviews.

• Like 2