• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer potlucks (reunions, etc.)...

Martin Fisher

What are your favorite summer potluck dishes (recipes)?

I usually bake brownies! LOL

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We bring Tostitos Kaki Mochi and I always put paper strips with the recipe on it under the bowl.  The contents are gone before I know it and all the recipe strips are gone.

303612162_TostitosKakiMochi.thumb.JPG.d3f20696f0d4e2ed91faea6676ae3fe5.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I like to bring a black bean salad that works equally well as a salsa with chips, as a side or even a vegetarian main.  Ingredients are flexible but here's an approximation I wrote up for friends who asked for the recipe: 

1 pound dry black beans, cooked 
3/4 - 1 cup lime vinaigrette (Newman's Own lime or light balsamic work well)
1 bag of Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn kernels (no need to thaw)
1 large red onion, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange or green), chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped

4 chopped fresh tomatoes or a can of Rotel

2 diced jalapeño or serrano chiles, or more to taste
small pile of cilantro leaves, chopped

While the beans are still warm from cooking, drain them well and toss them with the dressing.
Then throw in the rest of the ingredients and serve.
The frozen corn will thaw and chill down the beans so you can serve it right away. Or put it in the refrigerator if preparing ahead.  Keeps well for several days.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add recipe (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Rarely go to one these days but for many years my standard was a cabbage-noodle salad. People still ask about it "what was that salad you used to make?"   Napa cabbage and fresh Chinese noodles. Proportions to taste. Rough recipe -

Cabbage as main ingredient  slice cross wise 

Noodles - fresh Chinese - yellow in color, thicker than spaghetti with a good chew so maybe alkaline? Simmer to taste with splashes of soy sauce in the water. In a plastic bag in every Chinese market I've been to

Add-ins: halved grapes, green onion, cucumber

Dressing:  Chinese Chicken Salad dressing like Girards or make own, mayo, rice or cider vinegar if it needs more zing. 

Holds up a long time. 

ETA: some Dijon or some pickled ginger (any type) is nice too

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I make too many to list (it would have to be specified to course/hot or cold/etc.)

It can be any dish-to-pass and I'm willing to make anything. :)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

One of my current faves, if I were to go to a potluck, would be one of my current faves at home: bean salad. Canned dark red kidney beans; garbanzos; navy, great northern, cannelini or some other white beans; wax beans and green beans (yes, canned) in equal proportions. Dress liberally with a vinaigrette. Now, I should disclose that my bean salad is nonstandard because of the vinaigrette. I do not like the classic 3-bean or 5-bean or whatever salads because the dressing always has sugar in it! Most folks might feel disillusioned because they'd be expecting a sweet dressing. 

I've been known to bring duds to potlucks before. 🙂

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Darienne said:

...and I always put paper strips with the recipe on it under the bowl.

That's an excellent idea! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have three family reunions coming up.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Smithy said:

One of my current faves, if I were to go to a potluck, would be one of my current faves at home: bean salad. Canned dark red kidney beans; garbanzos; navy, great northern, cannelini or some other white beans; wax beans and green beans (yes, canned) in equal proportions. Dress liberally with a vinaigrette. Now, I should disclose that my bean salad is nonstandard because of the vinaigrette. I do not like the classic 3-bean or 5-bean or whatever salads because the dressing always has sugar in it! Most folks might feel disillusioned because they'd be expecting a sweet dressing. 

I've been known to bring duds to potlucks before. 🙂

It's been decades since I've brought food to a potluck, but one of my favorite contributions was cannellini beans with tuna and parsley.  Liberal garlic and red onion.  Dressed with olive oil and balsamic.

A wonderful dish because I got to take most of it home.  Half the people won't eat it because it contains tuna.  The rest won't eat it due to an aversion of raw garlic.

Another memorable potluck contribution began life as two dishes, a quiche and a three layer cake with Swiss meringue icing.  On the way there was a traffic light that just turned red as I entered the intersection.  The traffic light was in front of the former Princeton police station.  I thought best to assess the breaks of my Jeep.  The top layer of Swiss meringue landed neatly on the quiche.  I received many compliments for creativity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The traffic light was in front of the former Princeton police station.  I thought best to assess the breaks of my Jeep.  The top layer of Swiss meringue landed neatly on the quiche.  I received many compliments for creativity.

xD

"Con queso rice" from Diet for a small Planet is always a winner,    Meatless but not vegan, a casserole of brown rice, jack cheese, cheddar, ricotta, garlic, onion, black beans.    Addictive.

Edited because I forgot the prima dona of this dish, green chilis.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

56 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

"Con Queso Rice" from Diet for a small Planet is always a winner,    Meatless but not vegan, a casserole of brown rice, jack cheese, cheddar, ricotta, garlic, onion, black beans.    Addictive.

OMG people bring up Moosewood as classic but that is beyond classic. I'd forgotten it - so powerful in the day

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Tomato cornbread cobbler.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Got a recipe, Kay?

While we're waiting for @kayb to answer, I'll share what she wrote a few years ago about that tomato cornbread cobbler. I'll admit that my first attempt at it didn't go well, but it carries lots of promise. I think it was operator (me) error. 

The description

Her photo

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

35 minutes ago, heidih said:

OMG people bring up Moosewood as classic but that is beyond classic. I'd forgotten it - so powerful in the day

I remember my father’s thumbing through it, tossing it down and exclaiming, “Do you realize they are promoting VEGETARIANISM!!!

• Haha 8

eGullet member #80.

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I make too many to list (it would have to be specified to course/hot or cold/etc.), but I would like both @kayb's and @Darienne's recipes, please.  

12 hours ago, TdeV said:

Got a recipe, Kay?

More of a technique than a recipe. Sauté bacon lardons with some chopped onion and minced garlic; drain, and use the drippings to make a thinner-than-usual cornbread batter (about the consistency of pancake batter). (Do not put sugar in the cornbread if you’re in the habit of doing that). Toss the cooled onions and garlic and the bacon with about the same volume of diced tomatoes as you have cornbread batter. Put the batter in a heated and greased skillet, and dollop the tomatoes around on top. Top the whole thing with grated Parmesan and bake.

Actually, I guess you could put the tomato-onion-garlic mixture  with the bacon on the bottom and pour the batter over it. I never tried it that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Most of these are savory and all are sides - I also have lots of sweet things and congealed salads and main dishes.  LOL  Hey, I am a southern girl who summered with her Presbyterian church-going west Tennessee farm-girl grandmother 🤷‍♀️ 😄.  

Corn Dip/Salad

Short Cut Fruit Salsa and Pie Chips

Tropical Salsa with Sweet Chips

Chicken Pineapple Macaroni Salad

Grilled Cobb Pasta Salad

My layered salad - so dated, but still really good and it goes fast!

Wild Rice and Orzo salad

My Baked Beans

Roasted Balsamic Onion Wedges  depending on your main course, they can make a great and unusual side dish

And you know what is incredibly popular?  A loaf of good, homemade, white or wheat bread with good, sweet butter (sprinkled with sea salt) on the side.  @Shelby's White Bread Loaves are delicous and the recipe makes 2 loaves.  I set those out on a cutting board with the butter and a serrated knife and it positively evaporated.  

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you!  When I dive into my recipes, I can go overboard with suggestions.  Much of the time I'm seeing things that I haven't made in a long time and want to make for us

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There was a restaurant in Orange County called The Gypsy Den. (They have since changed their name to The Den, as gypsy is not an acceptable term any more. Apologies to all for my use of it here. I typed this up years ago and saved as a photo, so can't edit.) At any rate, they had a delightful salad on their menu and when I lived and worked near there, I'd often get it for lunch. When it was no longer available, I decided to concoct my own version of it. I am always asked for the recipe when I take it to gatherings. I hope you enjoy.

Gypsy Deb's Rice Salad.jpg

• Like 7

Deb

Liberty, MO

We camp several times every summer with groups of friends and inevitably someone suggests an appy buffet "dinner."  My go-to contribution is devilled eggs. A dozen eggs makes enough for a crowd and the fairly basic ingredients are those which I usually have while camping. If I happen to have smoked salmon or jalapenos, I'll make some gussied up ones. There are never any left.

• Like 9