• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

15 hours ago, TdeV said:

Do you have a photo for this? And a recipe?

Sorry, no photos.

Recipe?   Kinda.   Cubed watermelon, maybe 1"x1", but I don't care too much about the exact shape.  I use a basketball sized seedless watermelon because it's easy to handle.   Place the pieces in a single layer in a vacuum bag(s) and pull a vacuum seal cycle on them.  I've done this with a Foodsaver, but now a use a vacuum chamber.  The pieces with shrink a bit, and turn a deep red, like salmon sashimi color.   You can add balsamic, or lime juice, mint or salad dressing into the bag before the vacuum pull and it will infuse into the watermelon.   Open the bag, drain the pieces.  Keep the juice as cook's treat or maybe use as a dressing(?)

I toss the pieces with a goodly amount of feta crumbles and black pepper.  I don't use a dressing, just let the sweet and salty mingle as is.   

I've sometimes sprinkle shredded fresh mint over it if I have some.   I've done cilantro over it, but at potlucks there are too many cilantro haters to risk it anymore.

lemniscate

lemniscate

22 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Do you have a photo for this? And a recipe?

Sorry, no photos.

Recipe?   Kinda.   Cubed watermelon, maybe 1"x1", but I don't care too much about the exact shape.  I use a basketball sized seedless watermelon because it's easy to handle.   Place the pieces in a single layer in a vaccum bag(s) and pull a vacuum seal cycle on them.  I've done this with a Foodsaver, but now a use a vacuum chamber.  The pieces with shrink a bit, and turn a deep red, like salmon sashimi color.   You can add balsamic, or lime juice, mint or salad dressing into the bag before the vacuum pull and it will infuse into the watermelon.   Open the bag, drain the pieces.  Keep the juice as cook's treat or maybe use as a dressing(?)

I toss the pieces with a goodly amount of feta crumbles and black pepper.  I don't use a dressing, just let the sweet and salty mingle as is.   

I've sometimes sprinkle shredded fresh mint over it if I have some.   I've done cilantro over it, but at potlucks there are too many cilantro haters to risk it anymore.