• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campari Tomatoes

I have long been a fan of Campari tomatoes.  In the US Campari is a trademark, and may legally be one of several tomato varieties -- such as Mountain Magic which used to flourish in great numbers on my balcony.

The brand of tomato I prefer to buy is Sunset.  I cannot say I remember ever being disappointed by a Sunset tomato.  (Some varieties less so than others.)  Sunset tomatoes are greenhouse grown, and the ones available locally in New Jersey are produce of either Mexico or Canada.  Sadly, for somewhile this summer, I have not found Sunset Campari available to purchase, for blood or treasure.*  Either from Shoprite or amazon/Whole Foods.

However tonight at Shoprite I noticed the welcome sight of Sunset tomatoes.  A large display.  Ones from Mexico were labeled Sunset Campari tomatoes.  Ones from Canada were labeled Sunset cocktail tomatoes.

To my eye, save for the label, both containers looked the same.  Intrigued, after some thought, back and forth, I purchased the cocktail tomatoes from Canada to see how they compare with true Campari.

My working hypothesis is there is some legal machination why Canadian tomatoes may not be sold in the US as Campari.  Does anyone have an answer?

*Here blood is easier to come by than treasure.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ones from Canada were labeled Sunset cocktail tomatoes.

There certainly was a time when I could purchase Campari tomatoes (here in Canada) but recently the same tomatoes are labelled “cocktail”. Think there is a challenge to the trademark. 

Edited by Anna N
To clarify my location. (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

there is this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campari_tomato

both TJ's and Market Basket have them

the containers are shaped the same

and that shape seems to be just Campari

in my area .

however the labeling is different 

TJ's come from Mexico   , capitol ' C '  and its trade-marked

MB's  ( Village Farms , Sinfully Sweet )  come from Canada , B.C.

no indication on the pack that compari is TM'd.   and the c from Canada is

lower case.

Im sure there are a lot of seeds for 1 lb .

$ 150,000  .

when the tomatoes are deep red

either vendor

they are quite tasty.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the mystery deepens. 
Here.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting. I had no idea they were a variety. I assumed (insert chuckle) that they were a brand. I've never looked past the consistent packaging of rectangular plastic shell with each one separate w/ bit of stem end still on.  Never checked for distributor or marketer. Maybe with recent supply chain issues and info on the consolidation of supply - think Driscoll berries - we are more conscious. I have not been buying them recently as i am such a tomato piglet I'd be through a container in a day or so. 

• Like 1

Last night I had one of the Sunset "Cocktail" tomatoes from Canada.  Very good.  Sure tasted like Campari to me.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I had one of the Sunset "Cocktail" tomatoes from Canada.  Very good.  Sure tasted like Campari to me.

Notice that the tomatoes from Kroger do not display a trademark for Campari. I did a little further digging out of curiosity and was able to find these tomatoes labelled Campari available from walmart.ca. But for the most part I find them labelled as cocktail tomatoes. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

no trade mark

There is most definitely a registration mark beside the name Campari. It’s the R in a circle rather than the TM in a circle. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Texas farmers have their  tractors in a tizzy over the trademarking of Campari.  
Here.

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

interesting 

here is TJ's pack :

IMG_1559.thumb.jpg.6242acbca9ebda6a0408a93fa44e76ae.jpg

Again there appears to be either a trademark or a registration mark beside the name but I cannot be sure because of the quality of the photo coupled with my challenging eyesight.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

very interesting 

$ 150,000  a lbs !

I remember getting tomato 

seeds

her and there 

for EarlyGirl ...

30 seeds :  1.39 ... rsh 

thought it was more expensive 

counting the 30 seeds 

than the price 

and TX these days

is in a Tizzy about a lot of things.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

So a little research seems to suggest that a TM can be used even when the registration of the trademark is still pending. An R can only legally be used once the registration is granted. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@haresfur

no , its a concern for me.

I started getting strawberries 

in similar packs 

recently 

and then the Campari's

Ive accumulated 

white a few of those plastic containers 

I(m not so happy about it 

but bothe the strawberries 

and the tomatoes 

are the best I can get 

Id love to see h9w produce 

and campari 's 

look like where you shop.

1 minute ago, haresfur said:

Am I the only one bothered by all that plastic packaging? Tomatoes that look like that here come loose.

Are they travelling the distance between Mexico and Ottawa? In the summer they are grown in Canada and in the winter in Mexico. The ideal would be to buy only local. Reality is that damn little can be grown in Ottawa in February.
Loose tomatoes do not travel well. We would all be happy to get rid of plastic but we still have to live in a real world. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

some time ago

there was a long article 

in the NYTimes re : Greenhouse tomatoes .

the Tomatoes on the Vine 

loose , w vine 

and perhaps many others 

are grown in Maine , USA 

in green house

w lights , etc 

all year long 

if you've been to Maine , USA in the winter 

you would have noticed 

its cold , sometimes very cold 

and there is very little light , from the Sun

that left to go South.

no excuses 

its the way it is 

P.S. :  Campari , when re and plump 

are significantly more tomato-ey

than tomatoes on the vine

this are ( back then ) $ 3.99  lbs  RocehBro

same tomato , at the same time , $ 1.99 @ MarketBasket

going down to $ 0.99  @ MB , and 1.99 at RB

those needed to be ripped w an apple in a paper bag 

for a bit of time , to resemble tomatoes .

both Camparis at each place are $ 2.99 lbs now.

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Are they travelling the distance between Mexico and Ottawa? In the summer they are grown in Canada and in the winter in Mexico. The ideal would be to buy only local. Reality is that damn little can be grown in Ottawa in February.
Loose tomatoes do not travel well. We would all be happy to get rid of plastic but we still have to live in a real world. 

The ones I posted (w/o mark) state greenhouse hydroponically grown so theoretically maybe even in your region is possible. I think maybe the packaging has become their mark.

some times my

Campari have vines on them

some time not .

Ive noticed what when there are no vines

the might be ripener and more tasty .

only so much y9u can do when harvesting 

and the tomato , on its own

fall off the stem .